Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Preserving Magento tweaks- Upgrade Concerns

BobMane

Total Posts:  108

I absolutely love Magento- but I suspect working on a Magneto store for several weeks-months could be a bit of a time waster as upgrades are eminent.

My hard work wouldn’t be considered wasted time if I have some assurance that it can be preserved.

But there does not seem to be a clear upgrade path at this early stage of Magento. (I’ve seen is quite a few folks posting about upgrades gone wrong)

So any help would be great: How to------Preserve my Magento tweaks when upgrading to latest greatest version of Magneto.

(I’m talking about all the code tweaks + all the graphics tweaks- the entire installation, as modified by me)

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Crucial
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  770
Phoenix, AZ

Upgrading has really only been a problem for very early releases (e.g. pre-1.1). If you’re making core code changes, you really shouldn’t be doing that in the first place. Since Magento is built on an MVC framework, all core modifications should be done as hooks or extensions, not direct editing of the code.

If you’re concerned about upgrading though, set up a staging area. Duplicate your current setup on a subdomain and setup a new database. That way you can test the upgrade process up and know for sure what will happen.

Magento Community
Magento Community

BobMane

I see what you mean, but are you saying I will “use hooks” to remove things like the “bug report” and many other similar really weird default items? or do I , in fact, have to manually go “into the code” to strip out things like what I just mentioned each time an upgrade comes along.

Magento Community
Magento Community

SimpleHelixcom
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  906
Huntsville, AL

Well when it comes to most MVC frameworks, it usually all about just extending a class and then overriding the methods with your own.

The hard part is just getting it to visualize exactly what gets loaded on each page, which can take some time to learn and get used to.

If you are like me, basically I try to abstract all the functions created by default to my own set of functions and classes. This gives me ability to update/modify/add anything I wish without the entire structure ever breaking whenever there is an upgrade, etc…

Magento Community
Magento Community

BobMane

OK, so now that I have the store looking and doing what I want, how do I prepare for an upgrade?

Is there a step by step guide to Preparing for and upgrade?

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community