Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Rackspace Cloud Server Hosting

nau88xj

Total Posts:  26

I’ve searched like crazy and haven’t found anything concrete on the performance of Cloud Server hosting with Magento.  I did find plenty of information saying Cloud Sites is too slow, but that is a different product.  I also found posts about Amazon EC2 being good with Magento, which Cloud Server is supposed to be faster than EC2.

Here’s what I’m considering…

8-10,000 products
2-3,000 unique visitors/day

4GB Cloud Server
using Cloud Files for CDN using OnePica extension
Nginx and other optimization

I’d like to have page processing time under .5 seconds.
Does anybody have experience with a similar set up?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Crucial Web Host
Guru

Total Posts:  364
Phoenix, AZ

Magento Community
Magento Community

magentohostinfo

Total Posts:  20

It is true that the Rackspace Cloud Sites environment as of this writing is not production ready for Magento.  Worse than the slow performance and occasional timeouts that your customers see in the storefront, is the inability to do basic tasks in the administrative interface without constant timeouts.  We have personal experience with this.

The Rackspace Cloud Sites hosting offering is not part of our list at MagentoHost.info because it is not a usable solution yet.  However, here is a store in our index of Magento stores that is currently running in the Rackspace Cloud Sites environment:

http://www.blackhallpublishing.com

Rackspace is a Magento Enterprise Partner though, so it is possible the Rackspace Cloud Sites environment may improve in the future.

“Cloud Sites” and “Cloud Servers” are two different offerings by Rackspace (go to their site for more details).  Rackspace Cloud Servers are an excellent production grade solution for Magento.  The idea that Magento wont run in the “cloud” just isn’t true.  You must be careful generalizing with the term “cloud” since its implications are so broad.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Crucial Web Host
Guru

Total Posts:  364
Phoenix, AZ

Well said - Cloud hosting environments simply will not perform well with Magento due to the remote database, network storage and disk ‘competition’ between hosting clients, and network latency issues.

Magento Community
Magento Community

nau88xj

Total Posts:  26

magentohostinfo - 07 November 2010 04:34 PM

“Cloud Sites” and “Cloud Servers” are two different offerings by Rackspace (go to their site for more details).  Rackspace Cloud Servers are an excellent production grade solution for Magento.

This is the only relevant information to my question...Thank you.

I wasn’t asking about Cloud Sites, I have no interest in that product.

So far I have set up a Cloud Server for testing and development.  The pages process in about 0.3 seconds with just a 256mb server.  Of course, we would bump up the specs before load testing and going live.

If anybody (preferably not trying to sell hosting) has experience with Cloud Servers, I would be interested to hear it.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community