Magento Forum

Order Status Management

iamdave

Total Posts:  102

I am a current Netsuite customer. Considering a switch but this thread concerns me greatly. We do a good bit of dropships, we ship items from our store and some items we won’t have in stock and will delay shipment. So order tracking is vital to us. I’m assuming from the thread this is not resolved.

Also I see mentions of order history. I like being able to pull up a customer, orders they made, click on that and view a PO from a drop ship, a cash sale from the order, a bill from the PO and payments made on the bill. Is all this history something you can easily chase from clicking around any items history? Customer/Sales order/ Purchase order/ bill etc.?

Thanks,
Dave

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

iamdave

Total Posts:  102

Are there add on’s for this type of thing?

Dave

Magento Community
Magento Community

Brian315

Total Posts:  9

The order management needs some serious work.

How many more people need to ask for this before it actually happens?

Magento Community
Magento Community

unexpectedly

Total Posts:  68

imho, someone needs to provide examples to varien to help them develop a work flow. Saying it’s crap or not ready isn’t going to speed anything along. It’s my observation that they focussed all their efforts on the front end (and did a fantastic job) ... and then actually tried and did a pretty good job on the order management. They probably haven’t been in the e-commerce/shipping biz for 10 years. wink

We have completely flow-charted the order management process and it is my hope to be able to meet with them and share this and/or contribute software to the project.

Chris

Magento Community
Magento Community

tjscgroup

Total Posts:  146
United Kingdom

@unexpectedly

Did you read the whole thread?  There are several examples of why the order management system is not satisfactory...however for anybody who has been in the ecommerce business for 10 years I doubt you would need examples to see all the shortcomings!!

Good luck meeting Varien to share your thoughts with them, why not upload your flow chart here first so everybody can help improve it before your meeting.

Magento Community
Magento Community

cbsteven

Total Posts:  73

unexpectedly - 06 January 2009 01:54 PM

We have completely flow-charted the order management process and it is my hope to be able to meet with them and share this and/or contribute software to the project.

Chris

Would you care to share this with the rest of the class? wink

Magento Community
Magento Community

jonny

Total Posts:  3

cbsteven - 07 January 2009 05:01 AM

unexpectedly - 06 January 2009 01:54 PM

Chris

Would you care to share this with the rest of the class? wink

Sharing this would be a great idea as others may find some gaps or improvements that can be made.

Plus if everyone supports it and gets behind it there should be a better chance of it being implemented.

Magento Community
Magento Community

J_T_
Mentor

Total Posts:  1961
London-ish, UK

As it’s Open Source, step one in solving this “issue” is fairly straight-forward and will help all of those who simply need accurate “labeling” of orders by state of fulfillment:

http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/19427/

Once you’ve settled on your preferred list of stausses, you then have to extend the various bits of code to take into accounts the appropriate new statussen. That automation gets more complex bit at least with a simply tweak of an XML file, you can have all the statusses you want.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Itchy

Total Posts:  25
UK

Hi,

I thought Magento was too good to be true! I thought I had found the holy grail of current ecommerce software until I looked at order management. Oh dear…

Apart from the requirement for Custom Order Status and corresponding email templates, we see no quick despatch functionality anywhere?

At a basic level, it should work like this:

1 - Each Order on the Order Page has a Selection Box [ ] already
2 - Just add a dropdown at the top listing despatch methods/couriers setup, then…
3 - Select your orders ready for despatch, then hit the dropdown for your chosen courier. Say process all your Royal Mail Recorded Orders.
4 - An Ajax box opens up on each of these orders where you can then, select and adjust order quantities, select the tracking field and zap in your courier / RM barcodes accordingly.
5 - These are all then batched for despatch and are asked if you are happy to proceed.
6 - You are given options for; despatch only / create courier report file / despatch and create report file.

Bingo. Your orders are shipped, status amended to shipped, emails sent (content depending on delivery method) with tracking info… all in one go.

Then you just repeat the process for say your FedEx Shipments, Standard Royal Mail etc.

Any orders where you amended quantities to less than ordered, automatically become back orders and the customer notified.

There should be an area in email templates, where of course you can define the different email templates, depending on delivery method.

Should we stick to Jshop or fall into the slow murky world of Magento…

Hope we can see an API or a ‘Workmen in Progress’ sticker on this one v. soon.

thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

redbidibulle

Total Posts:  5

Hi,
I set up a magento shop but like everybody, how the order management is horrible!!!
I just take 2 or 3 days to googlize all I can find on the order on the web and it appears that you have to develop your own module or connect to another logiciel suite.
But my mind is that it is a choice of varien not to develop this aspect which is primordial.

When you see how magento is a really perfect thing I never saw on the shoping cart world, il s not possible that they do that with the orders management.

Why not participate to this thread from varien team ? just telll us why it is like that? why it s not a priority in developpment?

All merchant and magento user I know have in mind to stop magento because of the order management. I find that situation so stupid. It s really a good platform, so ?

magento lover

------------------------------------------
I send this order or not ? maybe said magento, don t remember…

Magento Community
Magento Community

bensykes

Total Posts:  4

We have had to create a “Shipping Despatch Module” that is basically an observer on the sales_order_invoice_pay event to pick up that an invoice has been marked complete. It has to check if the status was processing or pending (for money orders) and then sends off an order to our custom SOAP interface with fulfilment backend. The order management i agree is a bit undeveloped. It needs to have proper refund functionality and the ability to actually despatch orders to couriers/postal companies rather than just allowing addition of tracking numbers. We’ve done it anyway via the module (and i assume Varien will follow with the same kind of approach with something like Shipping Despatch Modules).

One other thing i find a bit annoying is that a “downloadable” or “virtual” product doesn’t need to be shipped at all, and when paid online in full the order should just go to “complete” but this doesn’t happen, there is no option to set this either since the order status comes from the payment when in the checkout and not the order itself, ie. there is no smarts in there to simply do something like the following on the sales_order_place_end (of course stock tracking makes this a little more complicated)

if (!$order->canShip() && $order->getPayment->getMethod() != "checkmo")
{
  $order
->doWhateverIsNeededToInvoiceAndShip();

$order->setStatus("complete");
}

What i would suggest is just have the ability to create despatches and have at least one extra order status of “Ready for Despatch” that can indicate that a payment has cleared and needs to be picked/packed and sent off, before committing to the big “Ship”. Then of course the ability to edit the order to indicate problems (not being able to edit the orders items/quantities if something is sent out wrong is a nightmare for stock reconciliation)

It’s not really a deal breaker for us since we can sort out everything on our backend instead but it would certainly help to have a little more thought go into the backend shipping system.

Magento Community
Magento Community

nileco

Total Posts:  79
Virginia

As a guy that used to work with a crew of software engineers, similar in nature to Varien, I’ve found that it pays to break things down.

Currently Magento already has methods for the true ‘core’ statuses that involve backend logic (Pending, Pending Paypal, Processing, On hold, Complete, Closed, and Canceled).  As far as I’m concerned these are fine as they are.
Let’s ask ourselves..."what are order statuses anyway?” Really if you think about it, except for the core statuses mentioned above, they are only predefined comments that assist a store owner to keep track of where the order is in his process.  Order statuses have the added benefit of informing a customer as to “what’s currently going on with his or her order”.  That’s really it!.  There does not have to be any backend, shopping cart logic involved at all.

I think that most Magento users would be content with having a predefined dropdown list (sound an awful lot like an attribute doesn’t it?) that fired off the same generic email that all of the other order emails send.  The email would of course need to populate itself with the aforementioned “order attribute text” but things appear to already be set up to do that.

Heck, it doesn’t even have to called Order Status.  Call it whatever you want, all it is is the attributed dropdown located on the Order screen.  Consider it to be a “Customer Communication” of sorts.

So that’s my morning rant.  Perhaps a Varien rep will find the time to read it and use the idea.  Maybe a mod builder will run with it and make a few bucks.  The bottom line is that it should not be terribly difficult to make this type of thing happen and greatly improve upon the cart.

Magento Community
Magento Community

J_T_
Mentor

Total Posts:  1961
London-ish, UK

As linked above (http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/19427/ ) just compiling your own list of statusses is already possible, easily. That solves the issue for merchants not being able to distinguish one order form the other, as far as where they are at is concerned.

It’s then up to each individual store owner to decide whether they really need additional logic tied in with these new statusses.

I don’t blame Varien for doing it this way. There’s a myriad ways to run a shop so why should they waste their time trying to pre-guess it for all. With the XML file, it’s easy enough for people to customize.

Magento Community
Magento Community

nileco

Total Posts:  79
Virginia

LOL, thanks J.T. I don’t know why I overlooked your previous post.  That is exactly what I was talking about.

Next time I’ll finish my coffee and properly wake up before I post.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Shimi

Total Posts:  22

Version 1.2.1 was released and still no updated to order processing, at least someone from Magento team should reply to this topic, two lines will do yes we are working to change how order management is handled or No, we are not going to change live with it.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community