Magento Forum

Order Status Management

Simon@smARTstudiosUK

Total Posts:  14

If anyone is still interested in the ability to process more than one order at a time (eg. invoice or ‘ship’ multiple orders IN ONE STEP) then they should check out this (commercial) module

Fooman/smARTebusiness order manager

This came about from seeing peoples frustrations in this thread.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

studio2f

Total Posts:  43

Simon@smARTstudiosUK - 17 July 2009 12:04 AM

If anyone is still interested in the ability to process more than one order at a time (eg. invoice or ‘ship’ multiple orders IN ONE STEP) then they should check out this (commercial) module

Fooman/smARTebusiness order manager

This came about from seeing peoples frustrations in this thread.

Simon, This looks great for us. Does the batch invoicing do the “Capture Online” function to complete the charge for those of use using Payflow Pro? And the batch ship...is the shipment transaction email sent to the customer-- if so, how are tracking numbers entered?

We desperately need to batch invoice orders and have “Capture Online” completed automatically. Then we need a simple way for our shipping department to quickly (less than 2 clicks) go through the invoiced orders and add tracking numbers (with the customer shipment email being sent).

This extension for drop-shipping is overkill for us (we don’t drop-ship or have multiple warehouses)…

http://www.magentocommerce.com/extension/reviews/module/1015/p/4/

but if you check out the first screenshot that shows the drop-ship vendor shipment window, and it’s exactly what we want. Every order that needs to be shipped, with a single field to quickly enter the order’s tracking number. I can only imagine that inputting the tracking number triggers the shipment email and changes the order status to shipped.

Batch invoice and quick streamlined tracking number entry would really help our fulfillment workflow.

Magento Community
Magento Community

FOOMAN
Guru

Total Posts:  669
Auckland, New Zealand

@ studio2f, thanks for ordering our extension but I’ll answer here again for others to see it as well:

1. Funds should be captured if the payment gateway supports it - please let me know if this doesn’t work with Payflow Pro.
2. Emails are being sent according to your setting under System > Configuration > Sales Emails
3. Tracking information is currently not part of the process and you would need to enter the tracking information as before. Making this easier is definitely on our to-do list for this extension.

Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

SandowSeer

Total Posts:  1

For everyone in this thread, is the Fooman / smARTebusiness Order Manager extension solving all the problems?

If not, what still needs to be done?

Can we get a current todo list that would say specifically what kind of generic functionality is needed?

I am a highly experienced PHP programmer (12 years and many startups) that is looking at this issue and am willing to blast through it for everyone’s benefit, but I need some guidance as I am new to Magento.

Magento Community
Magento Community

zamb

Total Posts:  44

well, a server side script for batch printing of shipping labels and would be nice smile ...at least it does not make sense to print each order step by step und feed your thermo label printer this way smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

carrytheone

Total Posts:  1
London

Would automatically importing all pending invoices into an invoicing application, such as FreshBooks, or an accounting application such as Xero be useful to anyone?

We are adding these integrations now - we had planned it for accounting purposes only, but if it helps with order management, then we’re happy to look at tweaking the integrations.

Magento Community
Magento Community

kabelparker

Total Posts:  11
Berlin, Germany

nice, looks like fooman’s extension is putting an end to serious trouble we had with magento. thanks.

Magento Community
Magento Community

KyleDugger

Total Posts:  32

Ahh..so I have now consumed the entire thread.  Thanks all of you for the enlightenment.  I have looked at both Fooman/smARTebusiness order manager and Order Status Magento Extensions.  Both look like they solve this issue within Magento.  They are both very pointed solutions however.

I have been looking however at eCC by webgility and it looks like it will batch process orders as well.  It doesn’t solve the multiple status question(I don’t need this), but does seem to allow you to perform shipping tasks in batches, leaving the onesy twosy behind.  It’s PC software ware that integrates with Magento through an Extension.  It really is aimed at integrating your store database with Quick books and other shipping software packages (I’m using stamps.com for USPS), but seems to solve some of the complaints posted here in terms of workflow.

Workflow looks like this:
1) Start PC software
2) click Get Orders
3) click select all
3) click Process Shipping
4) click the Shipping method (USPS, UPS, etc)
5) Generate USPS(or other) label
6) Click Print
7) Post to quick books
8) Click post to store.

It’s a swallowable for $299. 
This should make the batch processing easy but also make quickbooks and integrating with thirdparty shipping software a snap as well.  Has anyone had any experience with eCC?  I’m looking for input on quality ease of use and any other issues people have seen.

Thanks,

Kyle

Magento Community
Magento Community

Andrey666

Total Posts:  58

i will try to explain how everthing works, whole logic is mainly in these two files (take a look if u understand)
/app/code/core/Mage/Sales/Model/Order.php
/app/code/core/Mage/Sales/Model/Order/Config.php

and then setup is in /app/code/core/Mage/Sales/etc/config.xml

first u have to realize that STATE is not the same as STATUS u see displayed in front and backend

there are these ORDER STATES

const STATE_NEW = ‘new’;
const STATE_PENDING_PAYMENT = ‘pending_payment’;
const STATE_PROCESSING = ‘processing’;
const STATE_COMPLETE = ‘complete’;
const STATE_CLOSED = ‘closed’;
const STATE_CANCELED = ‘canceled’;
const STATE_HOLDED = ‘holded’;

each STATE can have multiple STATUSES (although default .xml file have only one for each)… and STATUS is only text expression of STATE for customers/backend operators

order is in STATE “new” : when order is created/edited
order changes to STATE “pending_payment” : this state works only with paypal as far as i know (maybe with some other payment processing options)
order changes to STATE “processing”: when invoice OR shipment is created
order changes to STATE “complete” : when both invoice AND shipment are created
order changes to STATE “closed” : when invoice is created AND then memo is created (u refund to customer)
order changes to STATE “canceled” : when order is canceled ( before invoice is created)
order changes to STATE “holded” : when order is holded

as u can see each one of buttons INVOICE HOLD REORDER CANCEL EDIT changes STATE of an order

simplest possible custom modification is to edit /app/code/core/Mage/Sales/etc/config.xml and edit/add custom STATUSES for each STATE. If u have multiple STATUSES for each STATE it is possible to choose default one via config.xml e.g. with “default” parameter
<states>
<complete translate="label">
<label>Complete</label>
<statuses>
<complete default="1"/>
<partial complete>
<complete pickup>
<etc.............>

</statuses>
<visible_on_front/>
</complete>

if you want to go further and change STATUS automaticaly in each STATE according to some variable e.g. shipping or payment method there is this function in /app/code/core/Mage/Sales/Model/Order/Config.php line 59

public function getStateDefaultStatus($state)
{
$status = false;
if ($stateNode = $this->_getState($state)) {
if ($stateNode->statuses) {
foreach ($stateNode->statuses->children() as $statusNode) {
if (!$status) {
$status = $statusNode->getName();
}
$attributes = $statusNode->attributes();
if (isset($attributes[’default’])) {
$status = $statusNode->getName();
}
}
}
}
return $status;
}

this function always sets default STATUS for each STATE when order enters that STATE
just add couple more “if” and u can make it set whatever STATUS u want, of course with cooperation with parameters from config.xml

i know its pretty limiting to have just 5 STATEs to work with (actually only 2-3usable) but with correct setup its possible to alter it according to your workflow and automate almost every process. Extendind magento to have more order STATEs is pretty complicated.

just to remind: dont edit core files and make your own config.xml and in case u need it rewrite of public function getStateDefaultStatus($state)
it would be really nice and simple local code base extension with just two files in it and can completely change way u process orders.

all that is written above are just my observations and i might be mistaken. please correct me.
i wish somebody finaly wrote a proper wiki about order management in magento as it is most misunderstood part of it :(

Magento Community
Magento Community

fusa2

Total Posts:  11

Any new breakthroughs to order processing or is Foomans extension still the best option?

Cheers

Magento Community
Magento Community

wokka

Total Posts:  45

It’s crazy that you can’t easily edit a customers shipping address from the admin backend!

Our customers are always doing this and making small typos that need to be corrected before sending the order out.

Come on Varian - the product is excellent - but we get a site designed, populate the database, get a sale and it takes half an hour to process.

This has got to put most people off switching from another e-commerce solution.

Lots and lots of time invested and then this hurdle to overcome.......

Does anyone know how to edit a delivery address easily, without going into PhpMyadmin I mean.

Thanks,
John

Magento Community
Magento Community

KyleDugger

Manage Customers->[Pick a customer]->Select Edit->Addresses->[Make your edits]->Click Save

Hope this helps,

Kyle

Magento Community
Magento Community

georg.ritschl

Total Posts:  3

I had a site based on Zencart before moving to Magento very recently. I love the way Magento works in many aspects but have similar problems with the order statuses.
In Zencart I had a very simple system that worked fine for me. (I’m handling 3-10 orders per day)
It went like this:

1. Customer checks out without automatic online payment:  Status = Payment Pending
2. Customer checks out via credit card or PayPal: Status = Paid
3. Once we have printed invoices / packing slips we’d manually upgrade this to the next: status= We are working on it (means we’re busy preparing the order but it’s not yet shipped)
4. Once orders are shipped, we enter the tracking numbers and update the order to status = sent
5. As a fifth we had status = Problem Order for anythng like parcels that haven’t arrived or customer did a recharge on his credit card.

My feeling: Magento tries to be way more sophisticated but denies simple workability requirements.
Also the PayPal module doesn’t seem to pick up when pending paypal payments have been captured or cleared. It has to be manually updated and then still sits on pending.
I had a lot less hassle and it took me a lot less time to do my daily order management with good old zencart.

Think about this really seriously, guys. Rather keep it simple and easy to work with than being too ambitious and not getting it right.
There should definitely be a status between paid and shipped. and the Admin should be able to set all statuses manually. As long as you give the Admin an override, you can try all other sophisticated gimmicks. Just let us be in control of what status is shown!
Otherwise I love Magento.

Georg R

Magento Community
Magento Community

hobbyshopman

couldn’t agree with you more.  Is this going to be addressed in the next release along with perhaps the ability to delete orders.

As i use a BACS payment method sometime people place an order but newver send payment.  Obviously these orders are of no use clogging up the database.

Magento Community
Magento Community

hobbyshopman

Couldn’t agree with you more.  Is this going to be addressed in the next release along with perhaps the ability to delete orders.

As i use a BACS payment method sometime people place an order but never send payment.  Obviously these orders are of no use clogging up the database.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community