Magento Forum

Admin Base Url Killed my site some please help me fix it

richdean77

Total Posts:  21

I had just completed my clients website and it was working perfectly. The final request my client had was that I add a custom url for the admin for extra security.

Little did I know the consquences of using the custom admin url, if i had of known what i know now i would never have touched it

First of all I had no css on the backend of the site.

So I did a search on google and discovered what a disaster the use custom url option was to magento sites.

So I followed peoples instructions to delete:

admin/url/use_custom
admin/url/custom
web/secure/base_url
web/unsecure/base_url

Delete var/cache files
Delete var/session files

Now I have no css on either front end backend.

None of the links work, i get 404 errors on every page.

I was wondering how these should be set as i got the site working for a minute when I set them to these options

web/unsecure/base_media_url www.webbconmarine.com.au/media/
web/unsecure/base_js_url www.webbconmarine.com.au/js/
web/secure/base_link_url www.webbconmarine.com.au
web/secure/base_skin_url www.webbconmarine.com.au/skin/
web/secure/base_media_url www.webbconmarine.com.au/media/
web/secure/base_js_url www.webbconmarine.com.au/js/

Should I set this files back to the way they were with {{unsecure_base_url}} and {{secure_base_url}}

Please someone help, I have been at this for hours trying to fix it.

The site is www.webbconmarine.com.au

I have also noticed when trying to log into the admin area that the websites is doubling the website url this is what it looks like:

http://webbconmarine.com.au/www.webbconmarine.com.auindex.php/admin/dashboard/index/key/6ec5157a51130434e12bce8c561b654f/?SID=1faee576cf5b3a81b62f53414537398b

As you can see the www.webbconmarine.com.au is doubling up, I have checked the config_data file in the database and I can’t see where this is occurring?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

jzn123

Total Posts:  14

I have the same problem. I worked always with OsCommerce. I can’t understand why Magento is that big: simple things like changing the base url seems to be impossible for some or at least giving a lot of trouble by most of the people. I am very disappointed that nobody answered your question. Have you solved it already?

Magento Community
Magento Community

chiefair
Mentor

Total Posts:  1848

Magento’s forum software has base evil in its heart…

Magento Community
Magento Community

chiefair
Mentor

richdean77 - 14 October 2010 05:33 AM

So I followed peoples instructions to delete:

admin/url/use_custom
admin/url/custom
web/secure/base_url
web/unsecure/base_url

So, you emptied these fields? That pretty much guts the website IF you get the wrong ones. If you deleted the rows from core_config_data and you got the main web base urls and not the admin ones, then you POB, find your database backup, you will have to manually recreate these records with the proper config_ID to bring things back.

Experimentation of this order should be done on a test web server. If you have a spare computer, it’s pretty simple to set up a test server for this, or run VMWare and get a linux appliance set up with LAMP. As you’ve found, don’t do this on a live server until you know what you’re doing.

The entry in your unsecure base url should be http://www.webbconmarine.com.au/
The entry in your secure base url should be https://www.webbconmarine.com.au/

And having given a long description of how to use phpmyadmin to set all this stuff back and disable the custom admin url and then having this Magento Commerce site blow reading a properly typed in CAPTCHA twice, I’ve given up on it.

Basically, set it all back to the way it was by editing the fields in core_config_data. See above for the base url strings. Use the macros that were given originally in the rest, don’t get creative. If you don’t know what the macros were, consult another installation that you haven’t messed up.

Then find admin/url/use_custom in the core_config_data table and change it from 1 to 0 to disable.

delete cache, delete sessions and then if you are running 1.4, reindex your URL_rewrite index.

Magento Community
Magento Community

chiefair
Mentor

And for anyone who turns Admin Base URL on, here’s a way to kill it before you do anything else which WILL mess your system up.

Fire up phpMyAdmin and open your core_config_data table. You have four or more rows to edit.

Find admin/url/custom and set to 0

The next three will have been set from the funky Admin Base URL you set in the Admin Config panel. You know what it is, the following rows will have it in the value field. Note their config_ID numbers and write them down.

admin/url/custom
and all instances of
web/unsecure/base_url
web/secure/base_url

Set these to be what your website unsecured base url should be. Example: http://yourwebsite.com/ and don’t forget the folder followed by a slash if you installed there.

EDIT: Flush /var/cache and /var/session.

This should allow you to log into your Admin panel now by appending /admin to your website url as like before you got adventurous. Go to your Advanced Admin setup. Use Custom Admin will be set to No. Clear the URL from the Custom Admin URL field and save. When you go back and check your core_config_data table in phpMyAdmin, you should only find the admin/url/custom row still set to 0, the admin/url/custom row blanked, and the other two rows gone as they were deleted through the admin panel save.

The reason for doing it this way is that you need to get the right web/unsecure/base_url and web/secure/base_url rows deleted. If you get the wrong ones, your website frontend gets completely disabled instead of just losing the admin backend.

EDIT: Now that you have your website back up, go back and make sure you have the correct secure_base_url to get your TLS/SSL capabilities back.

This has all been tested on a dev server, YMMV

This website is sure CAPTCHA puke happy this morning, can anyone get it some PeptoBismol?

EDIT: Always do a select all and copy whenever trying to submit, this board’s CAPTCHA hates well thought out first submissions and attempts to kill them.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Muni

Total Posts:  4

Hi
Thank you it will gave me an idea what would have happen to my admin panel. Please can you tell me how to change admin/url/custom’s value into 0 from one
Many thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

hobz

Total Posts:  2

Thanks for the info, saved my rear end

Magento Community
Magento Community

Col_Potter

Thank you for posting this fix, saved me hours and my ass.  You are appreciated for contributing! 

And for anyone who turns Admin Base URL on, here’s a way to kill it before you do anything else which WILL mess your system up.

Fire up phpMyAdmin and open your core_config_data table. You have four or more rows to edit.

The next three will have been set from the funky Admin Base URL you set in the Admin Config panel. You know what it is, the following rows will have it in the value field. Note their config_ID numbers and write them down.

admin/url/custom
and all instances of
web/unsecure/base_url
web/secure/base_url

Set these to be what your website unsecured base url should be. Example: http://yourwebsite.com/ and don’t forget the folder followed by a slash if you installed there.

This should allow you to log into your Admin panel now by appending /admin to your website url as like before you got adventurous. Go to your Advanced Admin setup. Use Custom Admin will be set to No. Clear the URL from the Custom Admin URL field and save. When you go back and check your core_config_data table in phpMyAdmin, you should only find the admin/url/custom row still set to 0, the admin/url/custom row blanked, and the other two rows gone as they were deleted through the admin panel save.

The reason for doing it this way is that you need to get the right web/unsecure/base_url and web/secure/base_url rows deleted. If you get the wrong ones, your website frontend gets completely disabled instead of just losing the admin backend.

EDIT: Now that you have your website back up, go back and make sure you have the correct secure_base_url to get your TLS/SSL capabilities back.

This website is sure CAPTCHA puke happy this morning, can anyone get it some PeptoBismol?

EDIT: Always do a select all and copy whenever trying to submit, this board’s CAPTCHA hates well thought out first submissions and attempts to kill them. 

Magento Community
Magento Community

faye1984s

Total Posts:  11

Chiefair,

Thank you soooooooo much. Your solution is the only one that worked in all of these forums. So many people wrote on here to go to the database core_config_data and delete those base url rows only to take out the frontend of my store as well, adding to my distress. I sat here for hours trying to figure this out that my rump in numb....until I came up on your solution.

THANK YOU AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!

Magento Community
Magento Community

mekhoo29

Thank you very much for posting the solution. Your help is very much appreciated. Save me countless of hours.

chiefair - 23 October 2010 08:20 AM

admin/url/custom
and all instances of
web/unsecure/base_url
web/secure/base_url

Magento Community
Magento Community

eoswares

Total Posts:  1

thanks a lot for custom admin url help!!

Magento Community
Magento Community

captaincaveman

Total Posts:  37

Hi Guys,

I had the same problem listing in this thread. I did the above fixes now when i try to login to admin dashboard i get this page that says

“The page isn’t redirecting properly
Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete.
This problem can sometimes be caused by disabling or refusing to accept
cookies.”

Any help on how i should try to fix this is appreciated. I’m not sure what i need to do…

Thank You

Magento Community
Magento Community

stfnet

Total Posts:  4

Hi,
I got this issue too.
In my case I add custom url and custom path from admin panel.

I tryied to solve the problem following the instructions in this post before setting to 0 the custom path and cuatom url but it doesn’t work.
I deleted the 4 rows from core_config_data but unfortunately it was not enough! Still getting 404 Error.

I cancelled manually var/cache, var/session and var/tmp but nothing!
Under the address [site]/admin I got always 404 Error.
If I went to [site]/newpath I got only the admin login page without css because the urls were wrong and also I was not able to complet the login.

Finally I tryied to rename my dir to a different name like /home/site ---> /home/newsite, I pointed my nginx server to the new folder name and magically I was able to connect to my admin page at the standard url [site]/admin.

I logged in, I cancelled all caches and log out.

I rename again the folder to the original name /home/newsite --> /home/site pointed nginx to it and the problem was still solved!

Frankly spleaking I don’t know too much magento to understand what could be the issue, I was sure that it was someting related to sessions because after I cancelled the 4 rows in table core_config_data, the only option was something in the mage folders with absolute path.

I hope it can help someone and may be give an indication to someone about from where the problem comes.

bye

Magento Community
Magento Community

marshalljahja

Total Posts:  1

Thank you so much…

chiefair - 23 October 2010 08:20 AM

admin/url/custom
and all instances of
web/unsecure/base_url
web/secure/base_url

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community