Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Numbers at the end of product URL

Mason Digital

Total Posts:  25
London

The url_path is adding a number to the end of the URL.

We are experiencing issues in SEO and when rely we the url to a customer/newsletter.
http://www.yourshop.com/beach-ball-422.html

We have 1 x website with 2 x stores

Any ideas?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

thedeveloper

Total Posts:  14

I also have this problem with numbers being added to the end of my product url’s which is causing issues with SEO.

Any help with this would be appreciated.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Mason Digital

Total Posts:  25
London

Why have the products a number at the end?
If you look at any configurable product in the sample data, and at each of the standard products that make up that configurable product - they all have the same URL key set. It appears that the products with a lower-numbered product id (Which I presume this means they were added earlier.) are claiming the URL, and the ones with higher numbers are getting stuck with URL + -1, -2, etc…

How could I fix it?
Right now, that’s Magento 1.4 default behaviour. If you need to modify the path of a product just go to:
1) Catalog >>> Manage Products
2) Open every single product no visible and add the SKU Option to the end of the “Url Key”
837 - Rechargeable Electric Corkscrew (Black)
URL Key: rechargeable-electric-corkscrew-black
1911 - Rechargeable Electric Corkscrew (Black)
URL Key: rechargeable-electric-corkscrew-silver
1912 - Rechargeable Electric Corkscrew !important: This is the product that you want to have the URL like rechargeable-electric-corkscrew.html
URL Key: rechargeable-electric-corkscrew

3) System >>> Index management
Reindex Catalog Url Rewrites

Note: after doing this, the product still keeps the old wrong URL. Delete the rows related on core_rewrite and Reindex again.

I. Pascual <www.unexpectedit.com>

Magento Community
Magento Community

thedeveloper

Total Posts:  14

Thanks so much for the solution.

Could you just clarify the last step please: Note: after doing this, the product still keeps the old wrong URL. Delete the rows related on core_rewrite and Reindex again.

I am not quite sure what this means.

Thanks again.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Jakub@WebCatch

Total Posts:  215
Nottingham, UK

Is this extra number at the end really hurting SEO that much?

Magento Community
Magento Community

violatorexciter

Total Posts:  4
Norfolk, VA

I am also having this problem, and really hate the extra random numbers that are being generated on the end of my URLs. It makes no sense.

Every time I re-index, I get a different number appended to my product URL.
Example: mymagentosite.com/category/subcategory/product-256/

Additionally, sometimes a product URL will ignore the category structure. It will publish as
mymagentosite.com/product/

Instead of
mymagentosite.com/category/subcategory/product/

Re-indexing sometimes solves the category problem, but it also adds the numbers to the URLs to the end.

Help!

# # #

Running Magento ver. 1.5.0.1

Magento Community
Magento Community

davidboyce

Total Posts:  10

I think this is getting caused for configurable products where the URL Key is not being set on either the configurable product, or any of the simple products that make it up on creation.

They all try to use the products name to generate a URL, but each has to be unique, and even if the simple products are set to not be visible one of those might get the “good” URL eg:
www.website.co.uk/mens/shirts/linen-shirt.html

and the configurable product might get a numbered one eg:
www.website.co.uk/mens/shirts/linen-shirt-123.html

I guess the fix is to always set the URL Key when creating new products, to make sure the configurable one gets the good URL, and the simple (non visible) ones get a dummy one (that will never get used / seen).

I’ve all ready got thousands of SKUs set up on the website I’m developing, so I fixed things by clearing all the URL keys that had been created, setting up dummy ones for any products that were enabled and non-visible (ie the simpe ones part of a configurable), and then reindexed to get all the URLs get up again.  Details here… http://www.daveboyce.com/?p=110

David

Magento Community
Magento Community

RickStoopman

Total Posts:  7

I also have this issue. Our store has 1 website, 1 storegroup and 4 storeviews (4 languages).

All products are Simple products and most products have names that end with a number which generates urls like. /ferrari-100/

Magento seems to do something strange with these urls and changes these randomly to /ferrari-101/ or /ferrari-102/
instead of /ferrari-100-1/ or /ferrari-100-2/

Reindexing seems to help sometimes, but the problem keeps on coming back.

Can anybody help?

Running Magento 1.5.1.0

Magento Community
Magento Community

sjtsngh

Total Posts:  1

In this case you just have to take control from Magento to yourself. This case can happen also when setup more than one url with same name. First delete all the url request and target path in Url rewrite that looks unnecessary so that they don’t conflict with the path when you create them with custom option. After deleting the old url’s, click on add url path and create all the custom’s value as desired. You have to remember though that which was the old path of url that you wan’t to change to new one. In custom option you can set all values including target path and that is what you have to set. for e.g. if you are getting path as www.adi-tour.com/nepal-tour-56.php and you just want to change path as www.adi-tour.com/nepal-tour.php than request path should be the first one and target path should be the second one. You also have to remember the product id or category id details that you can figure out from Categories -> manage category.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community