Magento Forum

Why do I have to pay to become magento partner

Ryan Sun _Kuafu
Guru

Total Posts:  317
FL

I can’t be a partner by releasing many community extensions just like many other open source organization do?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Alice_ink

Total Posts:  3

The Magento Community Edition is available as a free download under the open source OSL 3.0 license. Partnership includes support, and a commercial license among other things. While it would be fantastic if you could become a free partner when you’re actively developing for Magento...it just isn’t how their business model is set up currently.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Rick9004

Total Posts:  3
South Carolina

Payments to be a partner serve two primary needs of the software company.  First is that a fee limits the number and to some extent the quality of the partners it has.  There is some level of commitment after you have paid for it.  Second, and this for is for companies that sell commercial and open source is that it becomes a minor revenue source to cover expenses of running the partner programs.

My company would be a partner, but I cannot see the value of being listed on the community pages and the other licenses are too steep when you compare to those at Oracle (of which I am partner) which for most levels is only $ 2000.00

Magento Community
Magento Community

taylersroberts

Total Posts:  10
Chicago

You have to think about all the stuff they are willing to do for you. They need to eat too. I think the value they provide is well worth the money. See, . your looking at it the hole wrong way. You cant look at it as a expense you have to look at it as a investment in future. Anything thats worth wild is not for free.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community