Magento Forum

Residential indicator for addresses

Chris Farley

Total Posts:  43

I’m coding up a special ship method module for my magento store.

I have noticed that customer addresses do not include a residential/commercial flag.

This is necessary to get shipping rates for most carriers such as UPS and FedEx. It is especially important for FedEx, as they have an entirely different system of delivering packages if it is a business address vs. a commercial address.

Even though 80% of my shipments are expected to be residential, I do not wish to put my commercial shipments into the FedEx Home Delivery network.

I have considered looking for the presence of a “Company Name” to determine whether the shipment is residential or commercial, but is not quite as reliable as having a residential indicator flag.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Scott_TriState

Total Posts:  35

We need this as well. It would be great if the address could be verified against the USPS database that Fedex uses and then the appropriate shipping option would be presented to the customer. Home Delivery for residence and Ground for business. Anyone else have any experience with this?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Steve T

Total Posts:  10

This is also something that we need, and I think that all US users would be greatly benefitted by this functionality.

Magento Community
Magento Community

miked2004

Total Posts:  214
Atlanta, Georgia

I just got this as a feature request from a client and was wondering if anyone has began development or would be interested in contributing to the development.
WIll be starting on this with in a week

Magento Community
Magento Community

bolasevich

Total Posts:  235
Newington, CT USA

ive got a extension in development now to do exactly this. Ill release it within the next few days. hang tight

Magento Community
Magento Community

miked2004

Total Posts:  214
Atlanta, Georgia

Cool, Well Let me know if you need any help in development.

Magento Community
Magento Community

bolasevich

Total Posts:  235
Newington, CT USA

extension is complete -->> http://www.magentocommerce.com/extension/2740 email me at with any questions

Magento Community
Magento Community

ryankeen

Total Posts:  12

Does this integrate with the UPS shipping rates module?  How would I set up my UPS shipping method if I must first select either Destination address as either “Residential” or “Commerical”?

Magento Community
Magento Community

WebShopApps
Guru

Total Posts:  460
London, UK

Have you seen our extension?

It will tie in with UPS and FedEx as you require. It also shows on the shipping estimator to enable your customers to get an accurate quote before proceeding.

http://www.webshopapps.com/ups-fedex-residential-address-indicator.html

Magento Community
Magento Community

Rocket Web

Total Posts:  28
Naperville, IL

I’m trying to find someone that’s taken advantage of the street level address validation zip+4 tool in the UPS API to get the residential indicator returned form the address.  This is really the only way to accurately determine if the address is residential or commercial.  Any customer who knows anything about shipping would pick commercial or test both to see which rate is cheaper.

I just confirmed on a conf call with UPS this morning that they offer this extended address validation service to all customers, regardless of volume.  We should be able to take advantage of this.  No need to ask the customer if they’re commercial or residential.  Both WebShopApps and Commerce Extensions make some awesome stuff we use daily, but it looks like Rocket Web needs to come through with this one.

I’ll keep looking for a solution for a bit and post back here if I see anything useful.  If anyone has some insight on automating this and wants to post to save me some time, I’d really appreciate it.

Thanks guys!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Rocket Web

Total Posts:  28
Naperville, IL

Our UPS Address Validation extension for Magento uses the UPS street level validation API to check that the address is valid, assign a commercial or residential type and return the correct shipping rate based on that type.  If the address is not valid, you can optionally warn the customer, force the customer to correct the address before continuing or just silently warn an admin.  You can also append the shipping method name in the admin with the residential or commercial indicator so your fulfillment system can flag addresses.

Here’s our current documentation for UPS Address Validator.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community