Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 2
Can I sell Downloads with Magento ? 

Saarbiene23

Total Posts:  4

Hi all,

I heard that you can sell Download-Files (special Video-Files) with Magento. Since a few days with the 1.1.6 Version I tryed this but with no solution :-( My question is: Is it really possible? If yes - how?
The process should be that the customer pay first and get after the link (in the shop and/or via email) to the download.

Thanks for your help!

Biene

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

skippybosco
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  796

Hi Biene,

While 1.1.6 allows for “virtual products” which have no shipping requirements, “downloadable files” are currently targeted for the 1.2 release which is scheduled before the end of the year.

Out of curiosity, what kind of store do you have and what did you use before Magento?

Skippy

Magento Community
Magento Community

Saarbiene23

Total Posts:  4

Hi Skippy,

thanks a lot for yor answer! actually, I have still shop, its for a new project. I found the virtual products, too and I wondered what kind of products doesn´t need shipping requirements except downloads - but found nothing to maintain an URL wink

Well, I think I have to look for an other system.. :-( Maybe for a next project - I´ll watch it grin

thx n bye
Biene

Magento Community
Magento Community

skippybosco
Enthusiast

I’m actually working on an integration between aMember (http://amember.com) and Magento to provide digital download support (as well as streaming, single signon, etc). I’ll be making it available for free here in the Connect.

If you don’t have luck finding something else drop me a note and I’ll update you on my progress..

Magento Community
Magento Community

colin008

Total Posts:  84

I’m also looking to add downloadable items to my future Magento store. It would be machine embroidery designs, where by the customer has an option to select a specific file type to download. I have read else where that many others are in need of some sort of download system.

So the sooner the better skippybosco.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Bloomland

Total Posts:  9

What about a image bank download or any other art dealer site? Is it possible?

Magento Community
Magento Community

bertouli

Total Posts:  2

Hey skippy,
Would be very interested in your progress on this issue too!

Good luck!
Bert

Magento Community
Magento Community

skippybosco
Enthusiast

I’ve got a working module I’ve been testing .. I’ll try and clean it up a bit this week and post a link.

Magento Community
Magento Community

extremec

Total Posts:  9

That is great skippy!!  Thanks for your hard work on this..

Magento Community
Magento Community

Dave Smith

Total Posts:  58
Tamworth, UK

Any news Skippy? We are really interested in this.

Magento Community
Magento Community

skippybosco
Enthusiast

You and me both grin

I have the major part complete, integration from signup to add the user / product into aMember (which triggers the email with attachment, access to protected folder, etc). I’m trying to get the user to be created earlier in the process (at the point that Magento saves the user) as well as the single signon (so when you sign on to Magento you sign on to aMember.

Hopefully I’ll make some progress today or tomorrow.

Do you have any specific requirements that you are looking for?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Dave Smith

Tamworth, UK

We produce musicals there for will be selling our books as PDFs and out backing tracks CDs as MP3s files. We have no specific requirements other than for the user to be able to instantl download as soon as our gateway has taken payment. Keep up the good work Skippy!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Dave Smith

Tamworth, UK

I would be more than happy to do some beta testing for you Skippy.

Magento Community
Magento Community

smac99

Total Posts:  1

Hi Guys,

I’m inexperienced and this thread seems to be on the same lines as my enquiry -apologies if this has already been answered.

I am very shortly launching a website with a paid for a high cost pdf document as the main product. I need an e-commerce solution that will deal with both payment and download of the document to the customer (that deals with the registration of the document and allows certain number of downloads). eg. the customer clicks ‘buy now’ or similar and is then re-directed to Magento’s seure sever.

Does Magento offer this service?

Does Magento act as both a merchant bank and as payment processor?

My knowledge is belwo basic and any help would be great!

many thanks, Steve

Magento Community
Magento Community

iiNTENSE
Guru

Total Posts:  432
Lansing, MI

Smacc99: Magento is a shopping cart script.  It is not a physical payment processor, but allows you to integrate your payment processor within it.

~ ~ Currently Magento does not support downloadable products.  However, we would be happy to integrate downloadable products after cart ordering.

Magento Community
Magento Community

TomC

Total Posts:  191

skippybosco - 03 November 2008 02:39 PM

You and me both grin

I have the major part complete, integration from signup to add the user / product into aMember (which triggers the email with attachment, access to protected folder, etc). I’m trying to get the user to be created earlier in the process (at the point that Magento saves the user) as well as the single signon (so when you sign on to Magento you sign on to aMember.

Hopefully I’ll make some progress today or tomorrow.

Do you have any specific requirements that you are looking for?

Just out of curiosity, how is your integration different than Magento’s eventual ability to allow sales of downloadable products?

I know VirtueMart allows for downloadable products, so I would think that it shouldn’t be terribly hard for the Magento Team to integrate this feature. (actually, I’m amazed it wasn’t one of the core features). 

Anyway, just curious.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 2