Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

How do I Add a Product!! 

Daddyslipdisk

Total Posts:  2

I’m an obvious newbie and Magento is incredibly confusing. I used OSCommerce and it was SO much easier, but this is obviously more involved and professional looking, but I am at a total loss. I’ve spent an entire day setting up all of the configurations and I also set up the categories (no products in them yet). I haven’t installed ANY add-ons except for the 1.4.1 patch it insisted on.  But I simply want to see what the products will look like on the page since the page is blank now (http://www.liftsandmore.com/store/). I added about 4 or 5 categories and they don’t show up. I also added a product in case nothing was displaying because there weren’t any products and it doesn’t show up either. I made sure it had an inventory of 100 and chose the “display even if out of stock” option, etc.  I even re-indexed the pages under Index Management to see if that was it.  And it’s not even products. I changed the Footer back in the Admin area and it refuses to update on the store home page.  But other things work fine (welcome message, etc.).  What is the normal culprit when stuff doesn’t show up in the store after you save it?

I went to the knowledgebase area for tutorials, but I guess they assume you know the basics because it goes into even more in-depth than I’m trying to figure out right now. And the attributes area is downright disturbing. Can someone help and point me in the right direction? I may have to go back to OSCommerce or Prestashop. Magento is a tad daunting.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

thewebworkshop

Total Posts:  67

Hi there,

Magento can seem very daunting to begin with. The first time I looked at it, I ran a mile and didn’t return for months. However, stick with it and you’ll discover why it’s THE best e-commerce system.

As for your products issue, a couple of quickies:

1. Is the product assigned to a category?
2. Is the product ‘enabled’? (This is one I tend to forget myself. As well as putting a product ‘In stock’, you also have to ‘enable’ it. See the “Status” setting on the ‘General’ tab.

See how you get on with those.

Andrew

Magento Community
Magento Community

thewebworkshop

Total Posts:  67

Hi there,

Magento can seem very daunting to begin with. The first time I looked at it, I ran a mile and didn\’t return for months. However, stick with it and you\’ll discover why it\’s THE best e-commerce system.

As for your products issue, a couple of quickies:

1. Is the product assigned to a category?
2. Is the product \’enabled\’? (This is one I tend to forget myself. As well as putting a product \’In stock\’, you also have to \’enable\’ it. See the \"Status\" setting on the \’General\’ tab.

See how you get on with those.

Andrew

Magento Community
Magento Community

acmendes

Total Posts:  7

Hi,

I am assuming that the product was added in the admin console. In the admin, if you go to produts do you have items in the list? Also, is their status set to Enabled?

I took a look into your site and the categories indeed are not shown. So maybe the produts are correctly created and assigned to categories, but the categories themselves are not set to appear on the navigation bar and therefore you can’t get to the products. Did you set the Include in Navigation Menu option to Yes on the categorie General Information tab?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Daddyslipdisk

Total Posts:  2

I looked at the options and the Categories do show Active and the one product I added into the one category is properly under the category and labeled as Enabled and In Stock.  I also cleared the Cache thinking maybe something quirky is going on. It’s kind of got me frustrated. I’m going to try adding another product and attach it to a different category and see if something bad has simply happened to this one item.  But the fact that none of the categories are showing up at all makes it seems like there’s possibly some sort of disconnect.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community