Magento Forum

how to make left and right columns different widths?? 

xgabo

Total Posts:  40

OK, Im going for something similar to amazon!  I want the right column to be wider than the left.  I,ve managed to get rid of the padding on the left and right column so there was more room in the center, now I just need to know where the program tells the columns to pull the css .side-col
{
width: 195px;

I want to make a new css object for the right column, something like .side-col-right width 225

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

miribota

Total Posts:  23

The css for the page structure is defined in /skin/frontend/default/default/css/boxes.css
You can change that file or create a new theme and add your own css file via layout xml that overrides the settings for col-right, col-left and side-col

Magento Community
Magento Community

xgabo

Total Posts:  40

I dont know anything about creating a new theme or template.  I just want to know where in the code the div or box that holds the left and right columns is, so I can tell the right column to use my custom css code.  Im a beginner at this magento program.

Magento Community
Magento Community

eklusman

Total Posts:  25

Check in the template you are using, if you are using a 3 column layout then the template should be 3columns.phtml.
Look for that file inside the folder of the layout you asigned, if you didn’t set another layout then you are using the default, so the folder will be:
src/app/design/frontend/default/default/template/page/

When you get to the file you will see its part html and part php. In the html parts you will find some divs, check the classes, you should find one that says “col-left side-col” and another one that says “col-right side-col”. That means that they are using one common css class, “side-col”, and then one specific for each one. Try replacing “col-left” or “cal-right” with your css class and see how it works.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community