Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

disappointment

ls129

Total Posts:  1

I was highly impressed by the fresh look and features of Magento after 4 years of oscommerce tinkering at robosavvy.com and actually recompiled apache and php5 to add the necessary modules for magento.

1) CGI-BIN PHP5 & CPANEL
in a cpanel setup, with php4 being the default DSO handler for .php files and php5 handled as cgi-bin, all that you need to add in the .htaccess is:

AddType application/x-httpd-php5 .php
this took 2 hours to figure out as it is not documented anywhere here.

2) HOW TO FIND INFORMATION
Information about setup and features is scattered all over this site. forum, wiki, knowledgebase.. finding something can only be done with google search. If i were to start such a big project, i would look for a decent way to organize q&a;, issues, and a decent forum like phpbb.

3) NO COMPANY DEFINITON IN CUSTOMER PROFILE
Out of the box, the 1.6 magento does not come with Company information fields in the customer definition.
I came across a post where it was explained how to enable these features in the code.
ie: hack the code in order to enable customer profile to include company information!?!!??!
seems to me like a conspiracy to extort money for a “professional installation”.
I appreciate the effort that went into coding this and will gladly pay for a shopping cart that has all the features i’m looking for but this is a bit odd.

3) INTRACOM B2B EC VAT
Then there’s European EC VAT exemption or B2B or Intracom.. any way you want to call it, it means looking up the validity of a VAT registration number in europa.eu in order to allow the customer not to pay VAT if they are not from the same member country.
This is the “law” so it would be expected as a feature in any ecommerce shopping cart
but it isnt.
So far i’ve only found this in an oscommerce mod and the variants zen cart etc. (i havent check out some of expensive shopping cart solutions).

4) OSCOMMERCE MIGRATION TOOL ISSUES
Then there’s the oscommerce migration tool. great idea! poor implementation.
It sent spam email to all my historic customers saying “you have subscribed successfully to the newsletter”. great stuff!
and it didnt import picture links..

5) SYSTEM CRASH
then the system crashes with:

open(/home/......./var/session/sess_00492a8ce433d55f54690fa17816aca3O_RDWRfailedPermission denied

I’ll keep looking for oscommerce alternatives
hope you keep up the good work. i’ll check this system out in a few months again

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community