Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Make my site home page display a single product? 

nitePhyyre

Total Posts:  2

The site I’m building has a ‘Deal of the day’. When a user goes to my home page, I want them to see the product of the day.  The standard product list will be on a ‘Older deals’ page. In the CMS, I created the older deals page, and in the content section of that page I have:

{{block type="catalog/product_list" name="home.catalog.product.list" category_id="4" alias="product_homepage" template="catalog/product/front.phtml"}}
This is the only thing on that page. It works perfectly fine.

My problem is, what do I put in the content section of the Home Page? I know I want to load ‘catalog/product/view.phtml’ but this obviously doesn’t know what product to load. I tried code like this,

{{block type="catalog/product" name="home.catalog.product.view" alias="product_homepage" template="catalog/product/view.phtml"}}
With various permutations of additional attributes, like, product_id, id, product, all with the database id, the url key, and the SKU. None of this helped me.

I’ve been googleing for a day, no luck. I have a few questions that I think would help.
1) Has anyone done anything similar? How did you do it?
2) Does anyone have any better info than the wiki for the magento markup?

This inserts a block of the type module/package_classname using the template path/to/template.phtml. The string module/package_classname translates into a class name which is defined in the Block directory of module. (Thus core/text_list, for instance, translates into Mage_Core_Block_Text_List, which is defined in app/code/core/Mage/Core/Block/Text/List.php.)

If the module’s Block directory contains no sub directories, the package_ part of the string is omitted. (Thus the string tag/popular translates into Mage_Tag_Block_Popular, which is defined in app/code/core/Mage/Tag/Block/Popular.php.)

The value of the template attribute should be the path to the template that corresponds to the block, starting from the theme directory (e.g., tag/popular.phtml).

Is useless to me.

3) How does magento generate product links? What does magento do after someone clicks on a product? The CMS doesn’t have a “Product” page, how can I trace this kind of functionality down?

Please, please help me, I’m going absolutely crazy. Switching 2 display pages should NOT be this difficult.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Developersinc

Total Posts:  14
Romania Brasov

Hello, we’ve recently added a new Daily Deal extension with which you could schedule daily offers and have them display with an eye catching flash countdown:
http://www.magentocommerce.com/magento-connect/Developers-inc/extension/5072/daily_deal

DAILY DEAL FEATURES:
- Fully customizable flash countdown
- Countdown is based on your store Locale settings, displaying the same time to all your customers.
- Schedule/Queue/Edit/Delete Daily deals
- View the number of views and sales the deal had while on display
- Possibility to make products disable after deal ends or product’s quantity reaches 0
- Display on homepage or other cms or store pages
- Display in left/right sidebar
- Ability to show the remaining qty of the product/deal
- Choose whether you want to be notified when a deal isn’t scheduled for the day
- On download, aside from the extension files, the package also contains the countdown fla file

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community