Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Custom Apparel & Configurable Products

Dwatts

Total Posts:  8

Hi everyone,

I’m currently working on a site that offers apparel with their own custom graphics.  We are currently tracking inventory on the shirts themselves by setting up configurable products for each color and emblem (eg. “Red T-Shirt w/Emblem 1").  So, the product pages allow the user to select a size.

Here’s what our simple products look like:

T-Shirt - Red - Large
T-Shirt - Red - Small
T-Shirt - Blue - Large
T-Shirt - Blue - Small

Then Configurable would be:

Red T-Shirt w/Emblem 1
Red T-Shirt w/Emblem 2
Blue T-Shirt w/Emblem 1
Blue T-Shirt w/Emblem 2

So, here’s our problem, we would like to create product pages (per above) that just require the user to select their size, but still have the flexibility of tracking inventory on the emblems themselves to know how many we need to manufacture.

Is there a way to connect a hidden item for inventory tracking purposes?  Or a different way of setting this up?  I looked at grouped and bundled but don’t think those are what we need.

Danny

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

IcebergCommerce

Total Posts:  90

Maybe this will help:
http://icebergcommerce.com/software/blog/iss/article/magento-configurable-products-setting-default-value-for-options

Magento Community
Magento Community

Dwatts

Total Posts:  8

That’s a great extension and would definitely be useful if I was using configurable products, but—the more I read—it doesn’t seem like configurable products are the right solution.

The issue that may not have been clear in my first post is that we need to track inventory on the shirt designs because they are all made to order.  So, tracking inventory on a design-shirt combination (as we would have to with configurable) wouldn’t solve our issue.

So, when someone orders a style-1, large, red, emblem-1 shirt—we want to discount inventory on (1) style-1, large, red shirts—to know when we need to order more “ style-1, large, red “ shirts from the supplier—and (2) emblem-1 prints—to know when we need to manufacture more of the “emblem-1” design.

I’ve been looking into bundling and modifying the page template to make it looks like I want it to.

I’ll post here if we come to any resolution on this.  Any other ideas are welcomed!

Magento Community
Magento Community

tcampbell

Total Posts:  3

if you want to adjust your inventory once the order is made...if you are using a program to do this, then you need to re-program it ... adjusting the the function of the variables and doing some operation adjustment as well...if you are doing this manually. well, I think you have to upgrade your system because it is really hard to track things during inventory especially if you got a lot of products involve.

Hope that helps....

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community