Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Magento as CMS

GPutignano

Total Posts:  214
Lauria - Italy

I like Magento layered navigation and attribute system.
What do you think about using Magento both as an E-Commerce platform and as a CMS? For example I think I’ll use it for a site about hotels.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

vectran

Total Posts:  7

It has a static page feature - as far as I can tell it should work as a CMS and eCommerce solution. I am trying to see if it is ok for an electronic repair complany.

Magento Community
Magento Community

pwebdev

Total Posts:  21
The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania

I’m waiting to see what exactly is implemented on the back end of Magento. I would prefer to develop CMS add ons for magento rather then continue on with VTiger. VTiger only has webmail and invoice generation going for it as well as a tax tracker. Magento could easily implement the latter, because in most cases its a how much sales did we do, mow many taxes did we collect etc.

VTiger is broken in many ways and places. I mean, honestly, what kind of professional CMS software REQUIRES a patch to run under PHP 5.xxx Sugar is too complicated for people with BA degrees to understand. Looking at it from the outside, a nice Roundcube framing in an admin panel would work nicely for webmail, even in an iframe if needed. Outside of that most of the needed features are either incorporated or to be incorporated.

Inventory tracking is there and has survived most of my tests. I’m happy with tax functions. The graphing is nice and fluid. So we’re left with invoices and webmail. I really honly want webmail for support/sales/customer service roles. I do not expect Magento to provide this for me. I would like to see the option for order notification to an e-mail address or even better, in RSS.

Thanks,

tim.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community