Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Is the “magento/downloader” folder needed after installation? 

dwuethrich

Total Posts:  20

I’m trying to delete any non-essential files and folders from our live site in order to reduce space and security risks.

Can the following folder be removed after an install or is it needed for other functions?

files/site/html/magento/downloader

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Martijn The

Total Posts:  8

I was asking myself the same question… it seems the folder contains a complete copy of magento including all the archives… It takes up 100MB.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Nautica

Total Posts:  140

It can be deleted but then the Magento Connect Manager for updating files and install extensions does not work anymore.
Better is to empty the folder downloader/pearlib/download/ ( here are all the files that are installed by Magento Connect Manager and are no longer needed after successful install) also you can clear downloader/pearlib/cache/

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community