Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Quick Access links to footer

tin_soldier

Total Posts:  26

Could someone please explain the best way to get the quick-access links from the header to the footer without breaking them?

The code is in header.phtml but bringing it into footer.phtml does not work.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

nickweisser

Total Posts:  218
Zurich, Switzerland

You also need to change the layout XML file under /app/design/frontend/*/*/layout/page.xml by moving this part

<block type="page/template_links" name="top.links" as="topLinks"/>
<
block type="page/switch" name="store_language" as="store_language" template="page/switch/languages.phtml"/>
<
block type="core/text_list" name="top.menu" as="topMenu"/>

further down inside of this container

<block type="page/html_footer" name="footer" as="footer" template="page/html/footer.phtml">
</
block>

Magento Community
Magento Community

tin_soldier

Total Posts:  26

Thanks for the reply. I have tried that as well. It puts the quick access links in the right position in the markup (in the footer where I want it). Unfortunately it breaks the functionality. When I add a product it no longer updates My Cart and when I login, the Login links does not change to Logout.

I assume that something in customer.xml and checkout.xml needs to be changed too.

Magento Community
Magento Community

kaiserman

Total Posts:  2

tin_soldier - 15 October 2008 11:34 AM

Thanks for the reply. I have tried that as well. It puts the quick access links in the right position in the markup (in the footer where I want it). Unfortunately it breaks the functionality. When I add a product it no longer updates My Cart and when I login, the Login links does not change to Logout.

I assume that something in customer.xml and checkout.xml needs to be changed too.

I ran into the same problem, I also noticed that it only happens if caching is enabled. Here’s how you can do it in 1.4.1.1 if you have caching disabled:

In your page.xml file look for this:

<block type="page/html_footer" name="footer" as="footer" template="page/html/footer.phtml">
Add this code to it: (taken from the header and changed from top.links to bottom.links)
<block type="page/template_links" name="bottom.links" as="bottomLinks"/>
Then go to the template/page/html/footer.phtml file and add this code wherever you want the links to show up.
<?php echo $this->getChildHtml('bottomLinks'?>

Now there are some things you have to change in customer.xml and checkout.xml. Just open the files and search for “top.links” anywhere you see that code duplicate it and change the name/reference to bottom.links or whatever you named the block.

Now if only someone could figure out why this doesn’t work with caching enabled!!!

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community