Magento Forum

First Impressions

simonyoung

Total Posts:  34

I’ve been trying out the extension within Magento (CE 1.4.0.1) and also downloaded the OK Skate! app which is now live on the app store and I’ve got a few initial impressions and questions and wondered if they were shared by others:

1.  Test app - I know from what Tim S has said that they are working on a preview app.  I think this is a necessity really - I just wouldn’t be permitted to submit an app through Magento Mobile knowing that the first time we would see it on a device would be the same time customers saw it.  I’m looking forward to the preview app being available.

2.  On the OK Skate app, it seems that it doesn’t include the high-res iPhone 4 compatible images and icons.  Is this specific to that store or does the app not yet support the dual imagery required?  If not, will this functionality be getting added in?

3.  Security - does the iPhone app drop back to use Webkit/WebUI when it reaches the checkout stage of the app?  I’m guessing it does from the way OK Skate works and the structure of the XML Connect extension.

I know these might be technically pre-sales impressions/questions but it seems Pre-Sales is a public forum and I wasn’t sure whether these questions were appropriate for that forum.

Simon

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Tim Schulz

Total Posts:  42
Los Angeles, CA

Simon, great questions!

1.  We’re still working on the test app.  One of the challenges is that Apple has some scruples around releasing apps that are solely geared toward promoting a product (rather than providing a valuable stand-alone experience for users).  We’re working closely with them to see what can be done, but in the meantime, be sure to utilize the existing preview features within the admin, as well as download new apps that go live to get a sense of what your version will look like.  Also, when youre app goes live, you have a few days of lead time before customers start using it, and 90% of the design, branding, etc. can be changed in real time via your Magento Mobile admin.

2.  You’re correct, and we’re working on this right now.  The upcoming version of our app will support dual images for the iPhone 4 retina display.

3.  I’m going to invite one of our developers to give you an answer on this one.  Please stay tuned…

Again, these are great questions and let me know if we can be of any more assistance.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community