Magento Forum

Re: linking to Magento Mobile pages? 

stridey

Total Posts:  58

Is there any way that if I post links to products on facebook, or a customer using an Iphone opens a link we have sent him/her the link auto detects the iphone and opens the link in iphone format?

Currently if I put a link to a product or a customer ‘likes’ it on facebook, if they are looking at the page on their mobile they see a magento generic ‘there has been an error processing your request”. We are using the Iphone skin, but hope to migrate to the full MAgento Mobile shortly.

With the convergence of mobiles, laptops, desktops etc, its important that single links at least open on product pages, rather than showing error pages?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

bolizet

Total Posts:  31

I think not

Magento Community
Magento Community

proMage

Total Posts:  2

Hard question…

Magento Community
Magento Community

bolizet

Total Posts:  31

Yeah smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

bzhang

Total Posts:  26
Sydney

If you just want a web app instead of the magento mobile app which I am not sure which coding they are using, as there can be Object-C which is the Apple standard iSO the native programming language for all the Apple products, or you can simply use jQtouch js or Sencha js to implement the same look and feel of iphone function. But if u want to redirect them to the right theme or skin, you just need to change the configuration of your theme under the admin panel.

First make sure your system->design is empty as it will overwrite your setting in configuration.
Then go to system -> configuration -> design and then add exception to all the exception button, not the package one.
in the exception field type in “iPhone|iPod|Firefox” in the match field and value like “iphone” which is the folder name of your custom theme.
this means that all the traffic from iphone or ipod or even some browser like firefox will use the iphone theme, rather than normal theme setting. care the exception is case sensitive, and the value should be the same as your theme folder name. u will see the ipad is still using the default theme.

So that you can simply put your link in facebook with the normal browser link of your product, if they use iphone click the link in facebook, they should see the web app view which is the theme you design for your store. this is the simple way of not using magento mobile extension, but pure html and js to build a theme for your store in iphone or ipod, remove firefox as it is for my testing only, as I love firebug.

Look at Sencha.com this js is cool, but if magneto mobile is native using Object-C then it is much better than js solution, but still it may not let us customize it much, and our business logic is so different, hope magento can consider it and open the interface of magento mobile service to and magento mobile API and then we can change the XML of this magento mobile to send different content to it and display in Apple app.

Hope this will help, I love magento platform and coding it, hopfully I will have time to post my own free extension like supplier mode, that I have created for my company to let the product supplier manage products (create delete update) in the frontend using customer session instead of login to admin, I have created it and it works great.

Magento Community
Magento Community

stridey

Total Posts:  58

Thank you for your considered reply and the time you took to write it. It gives me a lot to think about. Thanks, Michael

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community