Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Magento Load Times

Francesco2008

Total Posts:  67

I totally agree too.... Very very slow .... customers go away during wait needed to put an item into cart ... :( :(

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Donovan

Total Posts:  16
Halifax, NS

Magento on ordinary overloaded shared hosting is like Vista on older computers: Sluggish

Case in point, tired with the lack of speed, I signed up for an unmanaged 360MiB VPS. After getting a LAMP properly setup under fedora, I repeated my earlier speed test, as noted in other forum thread (which I can’t seem to find).

This test was done after several hours of inactivity on the server…

Time to load the initial store page:
* Media Temple Grid Server: 62.859 seconds
* Linode unmanaged VPS running fedora/apache: 3.171 seconds

Time to load “My Cart”:
* Grid: 47.437 seconds
* Linode: 2.797 seconds

I’m definitely pleased with that!  If you don’t have any experience setting up Linux from the command line (no GUI), you may want to try a managed VPS.  All of these things cost more, of course.  However, the monthly price for the Grid Service is the same as what I paid for my unmanaged VPS on Linode…

...Donovan

Magento Community
Magento Community

Crucial
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  770
Phoenix, AZ

Greven - 12 February 2008 08:42 AM

I tried minify using the .htaccess method and I’m still getting many different JS and CSSes.  http://tools.pingdom.com/fpt/?url=http://jswindle.com/magento/&treeview;=0&column;=objectIDℴ=1&type;=0&save;=true

Does minify work with Magento?

Not sure if minify works with Magento, but the site you posted is coming up much faster than what Pingdom is telling me (it says 19 seconds). Pingdom is not a reliable source for gathering load times. Use this instead, it checks your site from a variety of different locations across the world:

http://internetsupervision.com/scripts/urlcheck/check.aspx

You can even compare it to some other results from various demo stores:

http://www.magentocommerce.com/?ACT=25&fid;=40&aid;=965_NXeVwxKvToIlv8QbCHXb&board;_id=1

Magento Community
Magento Community

theintoy

Total Posts:  1

Ouch…

I have been following Magento since it first appeared on the ZendFramework pages, eagerly downloading both released and SVN code.

I have Magento installed on 3 machines, a dedicated server P4 3.2GHz 1 GB ram (Fedora), Athlon 64 based dev with 2GB ram (XP Home) and Dell Latitude D630 with 1.5GB ram (XP Pro), all reasonably powered machines in my book.

I *REALLY* want this to work.

Sadly, I have to say having spent over 2 days (April 21 & April 22 2008) with the released version I can not commit to moving from osC as the load times are just far too slow. The team at Varien should be rightly proud of this code and the facilities, and the excitement of many including myself at the thought of such a feature rich platform. BUT customers are not interested in beautiful code, they want to buy things, and if you do not deliver the page quick enough they will go.

I have read this entire forum discussion (ok, its not that large) with many well meaning posts suggesting how to optimise the beast but I have not read any replies saying that this is being looked at.

It *REALLY* does need to be looked at as a priority.

I switched profilling on, and can see that app is taking far too long to execute, anything over 1 second in my book is critical and needs to be looked at.

I have attached a file containing a demo store home page from a localhost installation. The only thing running on this box was Apache/PHP/MySql/Magento and some other little bits. osC on this box, with a 176Mb test db draws the home page in less than 1 second. You will see from the attached page, Magento took over 30 seconds. I have not fiddled this, I want Magento to work. I want to move from osC to Magento. I want to develop functionality for Magento—honest, but I cant justify 30 second page production times to anyone.

Team Varien/Magento are you doing anything to mitigate this?

File Attachments
profile.zip  (File Size: 6KB - Downloads: 117)

Magento Community
Magento Community

peterw83

Total Posts:  44

@theintoy

There are many of us that agree with you.  Performance is the main issue holding us back from making the move as well, and we share the same optimism and desire wanting to use Magento. 

By the end of the month Varien is releasing an updated 1.0 with mainly bug fixes and not performance issues.  http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/6294/P0/

I think as community members we need to seriously come together and start to work out some viable solutions to help with performance.  Or else it may be many months before we have a better performance optimized version of Magento to work with.  And for some of us time is of the essence.

Magento Community
Magento Community

YoavKutner
Guru

Total Posts:  491

@theintoy - we have performance on top of our list of things to do. We are dedicating many resources to improving Magento’s performance so that more people can use it with satisfactory performance.

After the next revision release we will announce the next release that will include performance updates and optimizations to Magento.

Thanks

yoav

Magento Community
Magento Community

iDave

Total Posts:  33

I’ve got mine working fast enough, but shared hosting will remain difficult i’m affraid.

Magento Community
Magento Community

peterw83

Total Posts:  44

@IDave:  Would you care sharing your site’s URL, and your server specs?

We’re on a dedicated box with a Xeon and 2GB/ram and not satisfied of pre-cache load times.  As far as I can tell the performance issues are common to Dedicated sites too.

@Yoav:  Can you share what your general approach will be for tuning for performance?  Reduce DB queries, new caching methods, stripping down the JS?  If the community knows what the options are for tuning we may all be able to better contribute.

Thanks!

Magento Community
Magento Community

iDave

http://77.241.83.35/dave/magento/index.php/

It runs on a virtual private server with 1gb dynamic ram, 15000rpm Hard Disks, Dual Intel Xenon.
Cache is turned off for testing purpose.

(Purchases are disabled for guests, you can login using , pass magento)
Please do not flood the database.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ortsaipekim

Total Posts:  18

I think it would be great if varien would establish a minimum hardware recommendation for magento. This could put alot of clarity around the discussion of whether magento performance is “acceptable” and kind of let people know what they should expect. For example, we recommend minimum X MB of free RAM, ability to alter php.ini, ability to alter my.cnf, etc. Having this type of “official” recommendation in place would at least give people something to shoot for. Obviously your exact catalog size, user database, traffic, etc. influences things, but a minimum might be nice.

Personally, I don’t think having magento installed and performing blazingly fast on a shared hosting account is realistic or necessarily even a desirable goal for magento. Seems to me there are other players that occupy that space. But I, in no way, speak for varien, and this is just my opinion.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Crucial
Enthusiast

Phoenix, AZ

iDave - 22 April 2008 10:41 AM

http://77.241.83.35/dave/magento/index.php/

It runs on a virtual private server with 1gb dynamic ram, 15000rpm Hard Disks, Dual Intel Xenon.
Cache is turned off for testing purpose.

(Purchases are disabled for guests, you can login using , pass magento)
Please do not flood the database.

As far as server specs go, what’s the network port uplink speed (10, 100, or 1000 Mbsp)? Seems slow for what you’ve listed, though you do have caching disabled.

Magento Community
Magento Community

iDave

No offence but the demo store from your hosting company runs at least 4 x slower,
don’t forget that we are Europe based..

Magento Community
Magento Community

norbolig
Guru

Total Posts:  328

@iDave:  from the initial trial, your site seems to be very fast (I am located in Europe). However, in order to get a better idea of the speed, it would be helpfult to be able to check the logout process. Unfortunately, I am not able to use the login and password. Have you changed it?

For shop owners, it will be interesting to know what is the approx. hardware cost of the server that you are running? Thanks!

Magento Community
Magento Community

sino

Total Posts:  34

The magento demo seems to be running just fine, page loads and when “ add to cart “ is clicked. So, what is it, does the script need tweaking, or do we need a super server to run magento. Anyone know what the demo is being hosted on?

thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

Crucial
Enthusiast

Phoenix, AZ

iDave - 22 April 2008 09:58 PM

No offence but the demo store from your hosting company runs at least 4 x slower,
don’t forget that we are Europe based..

None taken. It’s likely because you’re in Europe, because you’re demo store also loads slower for me than the demo store you tried out (Arizona here). Was it slow enough that I would have left thinking it was down or broken like I’ve seen countless times before on here? Not at all. So it looks like you’ve got a good setup there and that’s great smile

If you client base is strictly in the UK or Europe, then you definitely want a UK- or EU-based host. If your primary buyer is on the other side of the pond, then a US or CA based host would be your ideal choice simply because of the network issue.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community