Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 5
Magento Load Times

medic

Total Posts:  173
Sydney

I am really concerned about the load times for Magento.

Is this a problem that is been worked on?

Currently it is taking 20+ seconds on a fresh install and more when accessing the official demo or other ‘show off’ sites.

This is not just on my internet connection, but several that I have tried.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Michael_1
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  826

Hi medic,

Did you try to turn all the caches on (System -> Cache Management) ?

Please let me know if it helps.

Thank you.

Magento Community
Magento Community

medic

Sydney

I can’t turn on the cache of other peoples shops.
Does the official demo shop have the cache turned on?

I’m talking about accessing other magento shops - not my own.

The initial load time the first time you access the site is too long.
If a customer can’t see something show up within a few seconds they aren’t going to
stick around.

Once the site has loaded up it is a lot quicker. It is just the first time you access one of
the shops that takes a long time.

Magento Community
Magento Community

SimpleHelixcom
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  906
Huntsville, AL

Here is one of our client’s hosting Magento on our server and tell me what you think of the speed performance:

http://www.shoebudget.com

And this is WITHOUT magento’s caching.

(post edited to remove advertising - Magento Team)

Magento Community
Magento Community

Kimmono

Total Posts:  6
Oslo, Norway

I have noticed the same issue. It might be improved when the beta is over?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Skew

Total Posts:  31
Phoenix

There may be absolutely no truth to this, but I’ve always experienced slowdowns with bigger applications built on Zend’s framework. Maybe there’s no correlation and it’s coincidence, but clearly I’m not the only one who is experiencing it with Magento individually.

Magento Community
Magento Community

medic

Sydney

jae - 11 December 2007 03:42 PM

Here is one of our client’s hosting Magento on our server and tell me what you think of the speed performance:

http://www.shoebudget.com

And this is WITHOUT magento’s caching.

(post edited to remove advertising - Magento Team)

The same thing. 20+ seconds.

You can see in the task bar that things are loading.

Magento Community
Magento Community

medic

Sydney

After you load for the first time it is quick.

But if the first time takes too long, people are not going to wait for the load before going to another site.

Magento Community
Magento Community

lkbryant

Total Posts:  60

Medic,
That site is loading really fast for me, even on first load!
YSlow firefox extension is showing me around 1.2 seconds to 2 seconds for pages all across the site!
Which is quite fascinating because, on media temple, its giving me atleast 4-5 seconds to load. =/
A shared hosting company is outperforming a VPS plan from MediaTemple!
this is a very unsettling news because I just purchased a 1 year plan with them..... >_<

Magento Community
Magento Community

ORZ

Total Posts:  5

Might be your host.
2-3 seconds to load demo store.

Magento Community
Magento Community

MS24

Total Posts:  4
Germany - Wiesbaden

I have the same problem with Magento-Shops...it takes about 10sec on the first visit. I never had this problems with other pages.

Magento Community
Magento Community

glantz

Total Posts:  2

Yeah, performance is an issue for me too. Even testing on localhost pages take way to long to load. Just way to slow! Even some of you who say it doesn’t take long, good for you, you have a fast server/bandwidth etc. What about when you actually go to production and you have thousands of visitors, with a 3000 product inventory. No thanks. I will wait. Magento looks to be a good package, well thought out and designed, but the performance makes it not an option for me. I will give it another look after full release.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Glyndon

I agree about load times.

I don’t have any specific load time examples but most of the demo sites I have viewed and my localhost installation are not what you would call zippy.

Once the homepage has loaded the rest of the site is a little bit better but I would prefer it a lot quicker.

It just feels very bulky to me, sorry.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Catch21

Well, I agree that Magento was real slow but that problem, actually went away after I started hosting with SimpleHelix.com. So I don’t think Magento is really the issue here.

Right now it seems to be just as fast as my previous site in OsCommerce, I really don’t feel that sluggishness anymore.

They say that their server is highly optimized for Magento so I guess it is all about picking the right hosting company.

So if you guys want it working fast, then I suggest you either host with simplehelix.com or get your own dedicated server.

Here is my thumbs up to Jae and the crews at Simplehelix for making it happen wink

Magento Community
Magento Community

kameko.rouge

Total Posts:  58

Catch21 - 13 December 2007 12:32 PM

Well, I agree that Magento was real slow but that problem, actually went away after I started hosting with SimpleHelix.com. So I don’t think Magento is really the issue here.

Right now it seems to be just as fast as my previous site in OsCommerce, I really don’t feel that sluggishness anymore.

They say that their server is highly optimized for Magento so I guess it is all about picking the right hosting company.

So if you guys want it working fast, then I suggest you either host with simplehelix.com or get your own dedicated server.

Here is my thumbs up to Jae and the crews at Simplehelix for making it happen wink

err yah ok. thanks for your useless drive-by advertising/spam.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Catch21

kameko, I don’t know what your fuss is about. It fixed my problem so I am sure it could be beneficial to others as well.

I know for a fact this is a huge problem for most, because I too have had serious gripes with Magento’s performance for a long time until I found out about SimpleHelix.

I am just doing everyone a favor, that magento’s sluggish loading can be fixed if you host with the right company.

I take it that other users will save a lot of time and frustrations if they did what I did.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 5