Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Modern theme - categories

jimsefton

Total Posts:  2

Hi,

I have had a look and cant find the solution to my problem, I hope it’s ok to post this question.

I installed magento and the first thing I found was that there seemed to be no standard way to navigate. I have used other shops before and out of the box if I made a category and gave it a product I could navigate it.

Being new to Magento I wanted to see what base theme I could use to design on top of. I decided that “modern” was perfect, as lots of cool themes have been designed on this. I noticed that most of them have the categoried on the menu at the top but I cant seem to work out how this is done.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Do I have to set anything in the magento back end or is it in the theme?

Thanks in advance.

Jim

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Matto

Total Posts:  38

Hi,
The left side navigation is done via editing the left.phtml is the cataglogue/navigation folder. If you search the forum for left nav there are loads of topic wit source code to use.

Magento Community
Magento Community

jimsefton

Thanks for the reply.

I am not looking for the nav on the left, I am happy to have it up top, but I currently don’t see any nav anywhere. Most sites I have seen using this theme have the categories across the top, which works for me, but I am just not sure how to do this.

Sorry, I must sound like a complete noob, that’s coz I am. I will continue to search but if some kind soul would point me in the right direction that’d be great too.

Thanks again, this seems like a great forum!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Alex M

Have you added any categories? I was looking all over for some sort of navigation, but really I hadn’t entered anything to navigate to. The category navigation showed up at the top when I added a category. I was using the default theme. Hope that helps.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Voot

Total Posts:  261
Long Beach, CA

When you add a category make sure to add it under the “Root Catalog” folder. All categories under this folder will show in the top nav on the frontend.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community