Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

New Install, Search Never Worked

TapTapper

Total Posts:  21
Hudson Valley, NY, US

I Installed Mage for the first time a couple weeks ago.  1.1.4, upgraded to 1.1.6 immediately.  Now running Modern theme.

Initially, Search threw an “Internal Server Error”.  I checked the Apache error logs and it had a problem with the permissions on reports/index.php.  I changed that to CHMOD 644 and now I get an “Error Submission Form” in my cart.  The error is below.  Are there bugs in these files, or is there another problem?  Is it possible to re-install without losing my products? 

The install package does not have the directories listed below after app\code\core\Mage (no Model subdir), so I can’t just copy the files over.

Getting the search working is really the last thing I need to do to go live, so help will be REALLY appreciated!

---------------------------
Magento Commerce
There has been an error processing your request.

Warning: simplexml_load_string() [function.simplexml-load-string]: Entity: line 56: parser error : Opening and ending tag mismatch: block line 55 and reference in /app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Layout/Update.php on line 286
Trace:
#0 /app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Layout/Update.php(286): mageCoreErrorHandler(2, ‘simplexml_load_...’, ‘/home/tappee/pu...’, 286, Array)
#1 /app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Layout/Update.php(312): Mage_Core_Model_Layout_Update->fetchFileLayoutUpdates(’fetchPackageLayoutUpdates()
#3 /app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Layout/Update.php(217): Mage_Core_Model_Layout_Update->merge(’default’)
#4 /app/code/core/Mage/Core/Controller/Varien/Action.php(253): Mage_Core_Model_Layout_Update->load(’default’)
#5 /app/code/core/Mage/Core/Controller/Varien/Action.php(212): Mage_Core_Controller_Varien_Action->loadLayoutUpdates()
#6 /app/code/core/Mage/CatalogSearch/controllers/ResultController.php(54): Mage_Core_Controller_Varien_Action->loadLayout()
#7 /app/code/core/Mage/Core/Controller/Varien/Action.php(349): Mage_CatalogSearch_ResultController->indexAction()
#8 /app/code/core/Mage/Core/Controller/Varien/Router/Standard.php(163): Mage_Core_Controller_Varien_Action->dispatch()
#9 /app/code/core/Mage/Core/Controller/Varien/Front.php(174): Mage_Core_Controller_Varien_Router_Standard->match(’index’)
#10 /app/Mage.php(447): Mage_Core_Controller_Varien_Front->dispatch(Object(Mage_Core_Controller_Request_Http))
#11 /index.php(52): Mage::run()
#12 {main}

Magento is a trademark of Irubin Consulting Inc. DBA Varien. Copyright © 2008 Irubin Consulting Inc.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

TapTapper

Hudson Valley, NY, US

So, I re-installed the Mage core and Varien Libraries from Admin.  The Layout etc directories are now there.  My editor didn’t find any code errors in the Update.php file, and I don’t see any either.

Could this be caused by a permissions problem in one of those files?

Magento Community
Magento Community

brendanb
Mentor

Total Posts:  1093
London, United Kingdom

FYI,

ive been playing with magento since 1.0x and each time they upgrade it seems that the upgrade always misses files..
The last upgrade from 1.1.4 to 1.1.6 was the last straw. After upgrading things stopped working. for example saving related products and upsells.

I gave up and did a fresh install which fixed all my issues.

So from now on im going to “attempt” doing a full upgrade install. ie take the full download file and somehow try a diff against the source to see what changes have been made, then apply those..

Really dont have much confidence in the upgrades from magento working as expected

brendan

Magento Community
Magento Community

TapTapper

Hudson Valley, NY, US

Thanks Brendan

When you re-installed, did you have to do everything over again?  Making the categories by hand was the worst for me, took hours.  Is there a way to move the data?  I’m comfortable with SQL if db work is necessary.

Magento Community
Magento Community

brendanb
Mentor

Total Posts:  1093
London, United Kingdom

Hey,

Yep i started over again. Id consider myself pretty good at SQL scripts, but the time it would take to figure out all the tables and nuances i figured better to use the admin than write SQL and find out sometime later i missed something and start all over....!

I had 250+ categories took me a good part of a day to re-do.

If you had any inclintation to use the webservices there is a api to add categories.
My next step is going to be writting a .net app to do these things but thats going to take some time

anyway, good luck with it

cheers

Magento Community
Magento Community

TapTapper

Hudson Valley, NY, US

Ahhh!  Truth at last!

Thanks Brendan.  I’ll bite the bullet, many many thanks.

Magento Community
Magento Community

moritz_a

Total Posts:  11

Same problem here. Every time we do an update through Magento Connect, things stop working.
We are now unable to relate sub-products to a grouped product. Changes are not saved properly.

Since we’re still in development, we can afford to do a fresh install. But on a live machine - ouch!

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community