Magento Forum

Page 1 of 2
Products disappear from frontend but remain in tact in backend

shayne

Total Posts:  2
TX

We are having random issues with products disappearing on the frontend. There doesn’t seem to be a rhyme or reason as to when this actually happens or why, but randomly all of the products will disappear from the frontend of the site. At that point, we reindex and they come back, but I’m wondering if anyone else has encountered this issue and if so, were you able to fix it and how?

Any help/advise would be much appreciated.

Setup is:

Build is 1.4.0.1
All products have been imported (not sure if that causes any issues)

Thanks in advance.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Xantos

Total Posts:  14

shayne - 16 August 2010 07:50 AM

We are having random issues with products disappearing on the frontend. There doesn’t seem to be a rhyme or reason as to when this actually happens or why, but randomly all of the products will disappear from the frontend of the site. At that point, we reindex and they come back, but I’m wondering if anyone else has encountered this issue and if so, were you able to fix it and how?

Any help/advise would be much appreciated.

Setup is:

Build is 1.4.0.1
All products have been imported (not sure if that causes any issues)

Thanks in advance.

Dude, am i glad i found your posting!

I’m having exactly the same problem(build is also 1.4.0.1), started today. Didn’t think about reindexing and just restored a backup, losing some data. Now that i read your posting, i restored to my original database and reindexed all tables and yes, it worked!!

In fact the products where not complete gone in the frontend. You could still reached them directly but when clicking the categories, they showed up empty.

I’m also thinking why this has happend. As far as i know, it happend only once in my webshop. We also import a lot of products using xml-import (total of 3000 articles). The last products were imported manually and that’s when it went wrong.

Maybee we can share some info and find out why we are experiencing the same issues? Please send me a PB if you’re interested.

Regards,
Rick

Magento Community
Magento Community

Jerome38

Total Posts:  44

Hi, did you find an issue ?

Magento Community
Magento Community

JeanDaPaul

Total Posts:  29

I have the same thing too i duplicated 1 webshop to another domain. When i add a new product it wont show up and if i use reindex all then the products dissapear in the front-end, but not the backend. All products are in stock and the are enabled. Does anyone know a solution for this.. ? Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

relentless1

Total Posts:  67

this is happening to me too, so ridiculous, any solutions for this?

Magento Community
Magento Community

ayding11

Total Posts:  7

I am having the same problem. In version 1.4.1.1 I had this issue. I upgraded to 1.5.1 but the issue still persists. That is, when a new product is added to the database or edited, if the automatic reindex is turned on, then all products disappear for a few seconds from frontend but are still in backend. This is a big pain because every time a product is added/edited all frontend becomes uselss for a few seconds.

When automatic reindexing is turned off, then all products disappear until a manual reindex is performed.

I am not using flat category or product structures. The store has around 14K products.

From this thread, it seems a few other people are having this problem? Can anyone point me in the right direction of how to track this down?

Thanks.

Magento Community
Magento Community

rolandkuka

Total Posts:  1

GRGGRGRGRGRGGR, same for us since last week!

What I noticed is the following: in each one of the products, the default category becomes unchecked, and after that products don’t show up at the front at all ( not even inside their own category.

So we reuploaded all products ( csv) stating the default category on friday....everything was back online. But today, monday all is gone again, and yes default category checkbox is unmarked again!

Boy am I happy this site is not “open to the public” yet.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ayding11

Total Posts:  7

I have some more information about this mystery.

Products disappear from frontend for a short period of time during reindexing and come back again after indexing is complete.
In frontend, categories become completely empty. Message: There are no products matching the selection.
It only happens with two indexes: prices and category products. Others are fine.
Products do not disappear for the entire duration of reindexing. Only towards the end
For the price index, products disappear for about 5 seconds, and for category products, about 20 seconds (catalog size: 14K)

Current magento version: 1.5.1
Also had the problem before upgrade from 1.4.1.1

Has anyone seen this before?

Magento Community
Magento Community

ruiLouis

Total Posts:  8

Hi everyone.

I have been using Virtuemart for years thinking that a EC system couldn\’t be anything else than buggy.

Then I discovered Magento ... used it for about 2 months and got to LOVE.

Here comes the trouble.

Today, as often, I check my categories tree from the back-end, modified some product descriptions, added some other, get very satisfied about my day to end up realizing that there was JUST NO MORE PRODUCTS in the front-end.

Both of my eyes winked, I though \"No, don\’t panic, this is Magento, the bug-less EC system you had ever wished for\” ... and I start to realize that there was nothing to do, that I did not make any wrong manipulation.

I mean, get bugs on everything quite everywhere, but don\’t take me off all my products ... please (T_T)

So I read all your explanation,

1* Index Management ->Re-indexed almost 10 times
2* Cache if off
3* I tried mass Disabling all the product and enable it 3 times
4* Some of my products seems to have lost their affiliation to the root category, but that might be from something earlier. Even if I set all the category to be in the root category, they won\’t show up.
5* All my products used to work perfectly up to then.

Well, I deleted all the product and inserted them again, but is that a solution? I mean, how can this go online decently?

Sorry for my tone, it\’s almost 8 in the morning, and I\’m on that since yesterday 10pm.
Any help is utterly welcome ^^

Friendly,
Rui

Magento Community
Magento Community

bkellaway

Total Posts:  2

Same problem here .. Version Magento ver. 1.5.1.0.  We have a multisite configuration with 9 websites, 4400 SKU’s.

In our case it was a module was causing this.  Disabling the module solved the problem for us.

Magento Community
Magento Community

chrisfmagento

Total Posts:  6

I have the exact same problem, been driving me potty for weeks ever since I upgraded my site Magento ver. 1.5.1.0. I have narrowed it down to the products price reindex.. products vanish for max 3 minutes, until the process completes.

anyone found a solution?

Magento Community
Magento Community

chrisfmagento

anyone having this issue with 1.6, is it worth upgrading to try and resolve ?

Magento Community
Magento Community

chrisfmagento

Also just wondering if any of you are using the Aitoc multi-inventory module http://www.aitoc.com/en/magentomods_multi_location_inventory.html and maybe that could be related to the problem? I also have 6 stores setup....

anyone found a solution?

Magento Community
Magento Community

m1klos

Total Posts:  25

Hi!
Experiencing the same issue. When I reindex product prices (or it reindexes automatically on product changes), all of the products disappear in frontend (30 000+ products 2 website 4+3 store). After the reindexing is done, they reappear, but it is quite annoying as the reindex process is long, and the shop is wiped clean of products during it. Is there anyone, who managed to get closer to the root of the problem, identifying the exact reindex phase (near the end), which causes the problem?

Magento Community
Magento Community

ytessier

Total Posts:  8

Bump.  This is a damned if you do, damned if you don’t situation on a multi-store setup. 

The way I figured out to make it manageable without products disappearing is by setting up a cron job to run my indexing in separate instances from each other as opposed to running them all together, i.e. I found that when selecting multiple indexes in the admin to reindex in a single process, that’s when when products disappear.

So I have a cron that runs individual indexes at separate times throughout the hour.  Here’s a sample:

01 * * * * /usr/bin/php /var/www/html/shell/indexer.php --reindex catalog_category_product
20 * * * * /usr/bin/php /var/www/html/shell/indexer.php --reindex catalog_category_flat
30 * * * * /usr/bin/php /var/www/html/shell/indexer.php --reindex catalog_product_flat

So far this has been working flawlessly.

Setup:
Magento 1.5.1
Multi-Store: ~20 stores
Products: ~ 5000

Magento Community
Magento Community

scitadel

Total Posts:  37

Still no one with a solution? Same problem after we switched server. 2000+ products only.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 2