Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Paypal Standard: “Unable to process payment….”

wehoman

Total Posts:  1

A little help please:

I’m new to Magento but learning quickly what an awesome project this is! I had a new customer come to my site, register, add items to her cart and was sent to the paypal page to complete her order ( My Payment Method Is PayPal Standard). After completing the paypal fields and clicking the buttons to pay, she got the following message:

“Unable to process payment. Please contact the merchant as the shipping address provided by the merchant is invalid, and the merchant has requested that your order must be shipped to that address”

Two days ago, I ran a transaction through on Paypal Sandbox and everything was fine....had no problems. Do I need to set The IPN preferences in my PayPal Merchant Profile? Here are the payment settings in the Magento Admin Panel for my site:

System -> Configuration -> Payment Methods -> Paypal Standard
Enabled: Yes
Title: PayPal
Payment Action: Sale
Type: IPN
New order status: Processing
Transaction Type: Aggregate

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

pastanislas

Total Posts:  46

anyone ? got the same settings and the same error , but I’m still in sandbox…

Magento Community
Magento Community

exsso

Total Posts:  51
Singapore

Hi,

Did you alter or change anything to the checkout page address form? I had a similar problem but it went away after I did this from the thread

http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/15688/

Now when I test the paypal redirecting function: if I am a registered account user I get my address transferred over. If I am using guest checkout I get only the name transferred over.

Hope this helps.

Magento Community
Magento Community

joyously
Guru

Total Posts:  447

There isn’t a problem. That’s the way PayPal is supposed to work.
If you are shipping a product to someone, you want a valid address to ship to. So PayPal is checking it for you. Magento is supposed to send the address, PayPal checks it, and doesn’t allow the transaction if the address is not valid. So either it’s a bad address or Magento isn’t sending it properly.

Magento Community
Magento Community

stretchr

Total Posts:  15
Georgia, USA

joyously - 02 January 2009 11:16 AM

There isn’t a problem. That’s the way PayPal is supposed to work.
If you are shipping a product to someone, you want a valid address to ship to. So PayPal is checking it for you. Magento is supposed to send the address, PayPal checks it, and doesn’t allow the transaction if the address is not valid. So either it’s a bad address or Magento isn’t sending it properly.

Thank you SO much for posting this! After spending a considerable amount of time searching for an answer for the “error message” this was the one thing I never considered. Once I entered a valid address, voilla!

Cheers,
Stretchr

Magento Community
Magento Community

PreTota

Total Posts:  4

Something I just found too.  For Paypal a valid address is an address on its database, so when testing use 2 Paypal accounts, I used mine and my boss’s.  When you are typing in the address in the text fields make sure that it is in the same format that you have it on the Paypal account, or else Paypal won’t read it properly. 

For example:

If on the form you have W 4th st

But on the paypal acct you have:
West 4th Street

Paypal considers that an invalid address.

It protects both the seller and the buyer.

Magento Community
Magento Community

malomarmoset

Total Posts:  37

I don’t need any address at all, is there a way to turn this off? I have removed the address fields from onepage checkout and turned off the required fields so the check out goes through but stops at Paypal.

I’m sure I changed what gets sent to Paypal but I don’t know what.

Magento Community
Magento Community

MicScoTho

Total Posts:  3

malomarmoset - 18 January 2009 03:49 AM

I don’t need any address at all, is there a way to turn this off? I have removed the address fields from onepage checkout and turned off the required fields so the check out goes through but stops at Paypal.

I’m sure I changed what gets sent to Paypal but I don’t know what.

Warning: I have not tested this, so it may or may not work.

If you do not need shipping addresses ever, you can try to edit app/core/Mage/Paypal/Model/Standard.php, and add the following line in to the $sArr array (~line 157):
‘no_shipping’ => 1
See the no_shipping variable in: HTML Variables for Website Payments Standard

Magento Community
Magento Community

malomarmoset

Total Posts:  37

Thanks MicScoTho, this seems to do the trick. I guess it directly tells Paypal to just ignore the address.

Magento Community
Magento Community

shayona

Total Posts:  15
Ahmedabad, India

Anyone Success with this issue?

I try with ‘address_override’ => 1 this make succesfull payment but shipping address display in paypal is their paypal`s address

if any one running successfully paypal standard payment let me know

thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

Bogislaw

Total Posts:  63

shayona - 14 November 2009 05:34 AM

Anyone Success with this issue?

I try with ‘address_override’ => 1 this make succesfull payment but shipping address display in paypal is their paypal`s address

if any one running successfully paypal standard payment let me know

thanks

Right. There should be a better solution.

Dammit I thought at least PayPal works flawlessly with Magento these days.

1. The addresses I entered do exist so I wonder why PayPal doesn’t accept them.
2. If PayPal verifies the shipping address the message should be a little more precise about what the problem is.
3. The customer should be able to check the address and have to option to keep it or change it.

Or what exactly is the issue here?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Sanapo

Total Posts:  4

I finally found a solution to this old problem. I got the Paypal Fill Fields extension from perclan.com.
Please notice that this extension does not say that it solves the Paypal problem. It fills the Paypal checkout fields for downloadable products (this is why I purchased it) and also solves the “Unable to process payment” pain. Don’t ask me why, since I have no idea. It just works. In the extension options, you can set address override = 1 o = 0, but it works in both cases, so I suppose address override is not the problem. Maybe these people rewrote completely the module. I checked only with the Paypal Standard method, I don’t know if it works whit the other methods available.
I hope that this help someone
You can find a more detailed discussion about this old issue on this thread where I posted the same message above

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community