Magento Forum

Real Time Shipping Quotes and Admin Set Shipping Quotes

Insidedesign

Total Posts:  73
Asheville, NC

Hello, we are in the process of building an ecommerce store for a business that sells both small and large items. For example, go-karts and go-kart parts. While go-kart parts can be sent through the regular shipping offerings, actual go-karts are large and require special shipping services. How are these sorts of packages dealt with in Magento?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

YoavKutner
Guru

Total Posts:  491

Currently there is no real solution out-of-the-box for this shipping logic.

We are working on improving the shipping functionality so that there is a solution for over-sized packages. I hope this makes it to the first stable version if not your best bet is to customize the existing shipping modules to do what you need.

Thanks

yoav

Magento Community
Magento Community

Insidedesign

Total Posts:  73
Asheville, NC

Thanks for the feedback. I think I may have a quick fix:

What if I assigned LARGE items with a weight of zero, and notified the user that shipping items like these would be paid separated after we have secured a shipping quote manually. Would assigning this large product a weight of zero affect the automatically provided shipping quotes for their other items that can be quoted automatically? I guess what I am asking is if the number of items affects the quote of shipping. If not, the fact of having the product with a zero weight should have no effect on the shipping quote provided. Is this correct?

Also, does this sound like a viable fix?

Magento Community
Magento Community

YoavKutner
Guru

Total Posts:  491

The problem with 0 weight items is that if the order has only these kind of items then we will get an error message for the real-time shipping rates. So it is a solution but there will be some customization to get this working correctly.

Thanks

yoav

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community