Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

What IDE do you use? 

ShopGuy
Guru

Total Posts:  462

Right now I am using UltraEdit. I am wondering if there are better IDEs that make developing in Magento quicker.

1) What IDE do you use?

2) What are the features that attract you to that IDE?

UltraEdit has syntax highlighting, bracket matching, code folding, advanced find and replace. Anything major that you find essential? I am wondering if any IDE can do autocompletion of methods for inherited classes?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Mage4Frank

Total Posts:  18
Düsseldorf, NRW, Germany

Eclipse or Zend. wink

Magento Community
Magento Community

thirty4

Total Posts:  16

Grab the Eclipse PDT for PHP, use the remote sites features to install some addons like JSEclipse, Zend Debugger, Remote Systems Explorer and you have a nice free alternative that functions pretty much the same as Zend Studio for free

Magento Community
Magento Community

John

Total Posts:  129
Sheffield, United Kingdom

I have been using PhpEd from NuSphere - very good but like all IDEs I have used does not work that well with the Zend framework when trying to find classes.  (ie Mage::Register(’this/that’) ) but everything else is top. 

The most useful feature is the remote debug over SSH - This means I can track the code and work out what is doing what and why.

I do mean at some time to try Zend to see if that works but that would mean a learning curve just to check.

Regards
John

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community