Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

wishlist for guests

Daniel Duvald

Total Posts:  44

Hi

I think it would be better if the wishlist was open for guests also. It is somewhat restrictive atm that you have to be a reg. user to create a list.

Scenario: you have a birthday and would like to create a wishlist so your family can buy you presents you really would like (not just pretend to like smile )
You browse the net and find store X, just so happens to run Magento smile and ohh nice - they got a withlist - perfect. Oh no, I have to register first… Registration is boring, I’ll check store Y first.

What happens is a risk of loosing a sale (perhaps many) just because a user has to register first to create their wishlist. Enough said, I hope it’s not me beeing a total newbie to Magento (aren’t we all that? smile ) but I couldn’t find any setting that would imply that I could open op for wishlists to guests.

Ohh and btw, I love Magento smile
It rocks!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Daniel Duvald

It should be like the checkout - create the wishlist and when done be presented with the opportunity to create a user, and save it, or just to mail it out to friends and family e.g. “if you would like to mail the wishlist to more than one, seperate the emails with a comma (,)

Also another point. Right now, if I add an item to the wishlist while not logged in, I’m presented with the login screen or the option to register. If I register then I looses the item that I put in the wishlist after I’m done registering. I then have to find the item again and put it in the wishlist.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Daniel Duvald

Ron Seigel - 03 September 2007 11:24 AM

How would anyone find it if they didn’t have to provide at least basic information (name for example)?  oh oh

Doesn’t make any sense to me....

I think I answered that in my previous post, but the point is that you create your wishlist first and then is presented with the opportunity to register or just to mail it out to friends and family. The point is to make it as easy as possible for the one creating the list.

Even if registratioin is mandatory it would be better that the user created the list first and when done created the user. That would be better (smaller risk of the user to go to store Y and create a list there instead)

And naturally, some basic information like name / mail adress / something would be needed.

Get my point?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Daniel Duvald

You might be right, but anyway I feel that it’s too restrictive atm - you don’t have to register to put an item in your cart, and when checking out you don’t have to register. I’m asking for the same for the wishlist.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Jesse-Lee Stringer

Total Posts:  18
Melbourne, Australia

I have had a custom wishlist coded for me for my current e-commerce package (won’t name it, although you can google my name for it) which allows guests and registered users to access the wishlist. Big issue was the sheer amount of tables that it consumed and obviously considering that some people cleared their cookies I was left with a bulging database.
I decided to change the mechanism by allowing session based wishlist handling so that as soon as the visitor clicked to view the wishlist they were shown a greatly reduced user registration form, with their wishlist, otherwise if they leaved they lost their wishlist items.

It may sound somewhat restrictive however registrations rocked quite quickly, thankfully this was for a client of mine so I’m happy to say it works, although I can’t give detailed statistics.

Jesse-Lee Stringer

Magento Community
Magento Community

ShopGuy
Guru

Total Posts:  462

I think this is interesting. The bulging database issue can be easily solved. Just delete all anonymous wishlists after X time of inactivity.

I am fairly certain that NewEgg (huge computer store) offers anonymous wishlists. They also allow for private and public wishlists.

Magento Community
Magento Community

MageClub
Guru

Total Posts:  386
India

Same here.. I also think the same..
Giving WISHLIST feature to the NOT-LOGGED in guys can be a hit1
osCommerce has this addon.

So,lets say, when someone add a product to his wishlist, then it saves, until and unless, he closes the browser window.
Just a session save for this.
Would love to see it soon..

\
The current thing is way too bugging . LOL!

Magento Community
Magento Community

kenmars

Hong Kong

The guest wishlist function is great. It help to increase the conversion rate of your site.
I found an extension for it here:
http://www.magentogarden.com/magento-guest-wishlist.html

Magento Community
Magento Community

crossgate9

Total Posts:  3

All right, I searched this kind of extension on search engine. And it’s sad to find out the free extensions are too simple to make it as a production.

Magento Community
Magento Community

MarkMes

Total Posts:  4

Do not buy this extension from Magentogarden. This is not a trustworthy company. We purchased the guestlist, never got the code. We are unable to get into contact and are unable to get our money back.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Siggi_Schmitz
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  811

Hey together,

i will write such an extension and will push it to my new extension shop which will be launched in the next days. I will update this Thread when the shop and the “guest wishlist” extension is online.

Magento Community
Magento Community

redstage

Total Posts:  173
Hoboken, NJ

Hi!

It’s not exactly a guest wishlist extension but we have one that lets anyone save a product from their cart for a later time.  It works with their session so they can “Save for Later” and add their products back to their cart.  It’s similar to the way that Amazon works, but you don’t need to be logged in. 

Check it out here: http://store.redstage.com/shopping-cart-save-for-later.html

We have a demo up you can check out too in the demo tab on that page. 

Let us know if you have any questions!

Best,

Anthony
Redstage Extension Store

Magento Community
Magento Community

MLX_STORE

Viet Nam

Hi all,
Please try use our extension Guest Wishlist use Ajax For Magento

Magento Community
Magento Community

Amasty
Mentor

Total Posts:  3988

Hello,

You can have a look at this extension http://amasty.com/favorite-products.html

It allows your customers save shopping carts and create (multiple!) lists of frequent purchases. Currently the extension does not support guests wishlist but if you need this feature, we will customize the extension for you. Don’t hesitate to contact us at http://amasty.com/contacts/.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community