Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Custom Design

Miska

Total Posts:  20

Hi,

How do I make my own custom design of the webshop?

What I see is that the header is too small for my purpose and I would like to increase the size of this without breaking down the entire structue of the shop. Any chances to make it possible? And instead of having this huge size (width), can I make it thinner too so I can place it in my own site instead of using a separate domain/subdomain for the need?

Best regards,

a newbie

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Unixversal

Total Posts:  80
Cologne, Germany

Hi!

well basically you can nearly do anything with Magento, but you need to be aware what you want, what steps you are willed to take and so on.
Easy way of starting to change the layout is to modify the boxes.css (basic magento theme in /skin/frontend/default/default/css/boxes.css

Here you can change the width, height float and everything you need to modify the basic look of your theme. If you want to rearange everything and build a custome theme its gonna take you a while…

Of course you can integrate a “website” into your shop or opposite - but that really depends on your requirements - whether you want to have a shop and add basic information (for that magento’s cms should be enough) or want dynamic user created content....for that you could consider to add wordpress (can be found in magento connect) and so on..

You see you gotta make up your mind about quite some stuff...all depends on how much time you want to spend and how much you are willed to find flexible solutions!
Hope could give you some hints. Good luck! wink

Cheers.

Ps. The first question I can hint you to the design guide...but I suppose you should start off using an existing design and change it the way you want. - maybe thats already enough - or you will learn how to make your fully self-made design.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Miska

Total Posts:  20

Thanks Unixversal for that, it’s noticed! smile

Well, I got a site already or actually which I’m working on with and under one category I’m going to have “Order” where people can order our products and the size of that area is only 800x600px but as I see that wouldn’t be good when using Magento webshop because there’s not enough of space for that.

So right now I’m doing following: Uploading the entire shop to my subdomain shop.domain.tdl and I’m gonna link from the “Order” site to the shop so people can find our products from there and the rest is going to be information how to order larger scale of artwork from us e.g. for events etc.

Have to say, it’s been a while since I worked with design last time, this I saw when I was working on the new layout to the site, despite my background I’m a MAD (Master Art Director) and Webmaster since 1999. This is going to take a while to make, the entire shop, and prehabs I’m done til tuesday because on wednesday I’m having a meeting with Kreditor AB (a Swedish invoice company) and week after that I’m having a meeting with my bank so I can use VISA/Mastercard payments on the site, but first I have to have a shop to show to them before I can proceed with all these meetings.

I also read something about Modules in the forums. You got somekind of VAT modules too for each specific country?
For my usage I would need the Swedish VAT module in that case, and the VAT is 25%.
I know, that’s a lot for VAT, as seen in Germany: 12-15%, which isn’t much. wink

Well, I hope you or someone can provide me more information on the “how to’s"…

Best regards

Magento Community
Magento Community

damonis

Total Posts:  1

Miska,

Also under the menubar @ the top of this page you’ll find Resources/Designer’s Guide - which explains how to redesign the default layout.

Best,

Damon

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community