Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 2 of 3
Import data for magento from a file excel

govind123

Total Posts:  21

Hi,

I have e-commerce site in php with mysql. Now I have created Magento version with same functionality. Need to import existing products, order and customer details into the new Magento database. How can I accomplish this?

In the admin interface we have the option to import/export the CSV format file for customer and product information.

I have few clarifications here
1. Can I import order details? if so how to create the CSV files for the same.
2. Shall I give product image URLs directly? or need to upload the images from admin interface after importing the data?

If you guys know any other solution please help me to do this.

Thanks in advance!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

govind123

I found the solution for # 2, that we can give the product images URLs in the CSV file.

I am still working on #1 to import the data other than products and customer details.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Bing Dicklepuss

Total Posts:  91

Hi govind.  I don’t think Magento has any buillt-in function for importing anything other than products and customers.

You would have to make something yourself or buy an extension.  I’ve tried a couple of the product import add-ons but none of the others.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Bing Dicklepuss

@chiefair

Thanks for those details.  Yes, I know it is a moving target.  Hopefully they will develop this new direct MySQL import system to a point where it is actually usable.  As far as I know, it can’t handle multi-valued attributes, and it handles multi-category items in an absurdly clumsy way.

Right now I’m running an update 2016 items using an extension for the dataflow import system (the old system) that allows it to handle multi-valued attributes.  I probably could have used the new system for it since I’m just updating a single-valued attribute.  But I’m not used to using the new system because it’s incapable of handling most of my imports anyway.

I am simply updating 1 user-defined attribute, and my import file is just 4 columns (besides my attribute column):

store,websites,sku,store_id

At about 0.45 records per second, I could practically update the a paper database with a pen faster than Magento updates MySQL.  It’s insane, because MySQL would be able to update a flat database with 2016 records like this in about 0.0004 seconds.  Even if you sent a separate query for each record from PHP you would still be done in well under 1 second.  Even with multiple table joins it shouldn’t break 1 second.  But it will.  It will take 84 minutes at this rate, plus about 10 minutes of post-processing (reindexing and other stuff).

Unfortunately I don’t know anything about OOP PHP so tweaking the code myself is like trying to fix an Egyptian pyramid by reading the original hieroglyphic instruction manual.  Of course, the pyramids were a bit better constructed.

I remember doing some experiments a few months ago and it seemed like eliminating some columns actually slowed down the import.  Perhaps when certain columns are missing, the process does extra checking to ensure duplicates aren’t created.  It would be great if I knew this for sure.  The dataflow import would be at least barely tolerable if it could hit 3-4 records per second.

At the current rate of development, I think that Magento will have a complete, working MySQL based import system that can handle hundreds of products per second sometime around 2014 to 2018.  Of course, that will be with 48-core 3.2 GHz multi-threaded processors.

Magento Community
Magento Community

chiefair
Mentor

Total Posts:  1848

@Bing Dicklepuss

Good old DataSlow.  smile

My experiences go along the lines of:

Basic export to get pricing on 9800 products

1.3.1.1 => 3-5 minutes 1.4.1.1 with memory leak in select.php => 2-3 hours 1.4.1.1 patched => 8-12 minutes

1.4.1.1 direct SQL query to bypass Magento altogether (badabump caching) ≈ 30 seconds

Import speed (bleagh!) shut eye

As to doing imports, have you looked into MAGMI as the SQL imports it uses would give a pretty good performance boost (though I don’t know if they’ve adapted to 1.5.x.x yet)

Magento Community
Magento Community

Bing Dicklepuss

I did look at magmi awhile ago (sometime before Magento 1.4 I believe) and at the time I couldn’t get it to work.  It always threw some kind of error without any details that allowed me to solve it.  Maybe it’s better now.

Right now I’m using the “Commerce Extensions” Custom Bulk Import extension by Bolasevich.  It works as an extension of the old Magento import function and so moves at the same speed, but at least it handles multi-valued attributes, related products, and multiple-category products very intuitively.

I will try Amartinez’s extension if I can get it to work.  It looks like it works as an extension of the new Magento import function using SQL and so it should be blazingly fast.

The next thing I will try will be this Fast Products Import by Ecommerce Team for $65 if Amartinez’s free extension doesn’t work.

Our website is up to about 22,000 products.  I’m able to do some updates fairly well in the admin but some things require an import (such as updating text fields) and we have to do them fairly frequently.  Updating 2,000 products in a minute instead of 84 minutes will be like waking up from a coma.

Magento Community
Magento Community

chiefair
Mentor

Total Posts:  1848

will be like waking up from a coma.

Heh, Glad I’d just put my cup of tea down and swallowed. It’s one of the better ways I’ve heard the situation put to date.

Magento Community
Magento Community

govind123

Bing Dicklepuss - 02 May 2011 10:06 PM

Hi govind.  I don’t think Magento has any buillt-in function for importing anything other than products and customers.

You would have to make something yourself or buy an extension.  I’ve tried a couple of the product import add-ons but none of the others.

Hi Bing Dicklepuss!, Thank you so much for your information. I am going to buy an extension.

Magento Community
Magento Community

govind123

Bing Dicklepuss - 02 May 2011 10:06 PM

Hi, I bought an extension from scott, http://www.commerceextensions.com/magento-dataflow-batch-import-export-orders-to-csv.html.

now I am getting an fatal error when importing the order data. I have attached screenshot for the same.

Do you have any idea to resolve this issue?

Thanks
Govind

Image Attachments
Import-Order-Screen.GIF

Magento Community
Magento Community

Bing Dicklepuss

@govind

the most common errors i ran into were the result of file location and permissions.

Make sure the you put the files he gave you in exactly the folder he specified (pay attention to capitalization) and that you have the proper permissions established for the folder and for the import function file itself.

Also, make sure you save your csv in UTF-8 format, comma delimited, with double-quotes surrounding text fields.

Also, in Admin -> System -> Import/Export -> Dataflow - Advanced Profiles, you probably need to create a new profile and copy-paste some profile actions XML he gave you there (and save).

If you did all that, try emailing him that screen shot.  He is usually pretty quick to respond.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ytechsol

Total Posts:  12

I want to import data about product categories and products in Magento database how I cant do this, I am new to Magento and I cant understand the databse structure of Magento. thanks in advance, I shall be very thankful to you.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Bing Dicklepuss

ytechsol - 22 December 2011 10:57 PM

I want to import data about product categories and products in Magento database how I cant do this, I am new to Magento and I cant understand the databse structure of Magento. thanks in advance, I shall be very thankful to you.

You don’t need to understand the “databse” structure. You aren’t supposed to even look at the database structure unless you are doing some advanced stuff. To import data, read about the admin interface and its import functions.

Last I checked, you can’t import category data with the standard admin interface, but you can with certain extensions. I know bolasevich has one for categories and you can probably find others.

For products, you can import them through the standard admin interface, but last I checked that interface required really annoying formats for the import file. So you can use extensions to improve the product import function as well. Last I checked, the free AMartinez extension was the fastest and most reliable, but bolasevich’s was more complete (and also about 50 times slower).

Magento Community
Magento Community

ytechsol

Total Posts:  12

I am uanble to import the product categories, can anyone help me in this regard how to import the product categories. I have import the product but it cant import the its related category in the database. I shall be very thankful to you.

Magento Community
Magento Community

SarahTaylor

Total Posts:  5

If you don’t want to have problems with import, you’d better use automated services. Maybe some of them are not free, but they help a lot. I use this one for example file2cart
Very useful thing.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Ackley

Total Posts:  28

According to me VM1.1.6 is contain a lot of php warnings because of php.ini file if you are import the data through the FTP it doesn’t work. if conversion is need ask the hoster or admin for the import path.Product data in excel to a CSV file format and then Copy the CSV file to C:\\wamp\\www\\magento\\var\\import and then go to admin panel and run your Profile

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 2 of 3