Magento Forum

Page 1 of 3
Import data for magento from a file excel

NTIS-MINH

Total Posts:  2
Vietnam

I have a error ”Disallowed file type” when try import data from a file excel as exported by magento ver 1.1.6. Is magento not supported file excel? Please help me, tks.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Sebastian G
Guru

Total Posts:  336

Magento Supports CSV and XML formats for Importing, if you are trying to import with an XLS file is not going to work wink

Magento Community
Magento Community

NTIS-MINH

Vietnam

Tks Tomas,
I have a problem, my csv file is exported with UTF-8 standar, but MS Excel only support UTF-16, so when i open a csv file with MS Excel anh edit it, the characters utf-8 will be wrong.
I think i need convert from utf-8 -> utf-16 when export csv file and otherwise when import. Should i should do this where?
Tks.

Magento Community
Magento Community

demarah

Total Posts:  1

Magento NTIS - 10 October 2008 11:27 PM

Tks Tomas,
I have a problem, my csv file is exported with UTF-8 standar, but MS Excel only support UTF-16, so when i open a csv file with MS Excel anh edit it, the characters utf-8 will be wrong.

Try Neo Office—it works like a dream.

Magento Community
Magento Community

marikas

Total Posts:  29

Magento NTIS, you can also try opening your file with PSPad (pspad.com), then changing the format (top menu) to utf-16 and re-saving your file.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Mr Dash

Total Posts:  49

I am using the latest version of magento 1.2 and it as excel as selectable file type and sheet name as one of the parameters. thus i would say that 1.2 supports excell unless you chaps are saying theres a bug in the imoprt functionality.

having said that i also get a disallowed file type error.

can some one from magento or a user who knows explain why this is .

Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

jimsjunkshop

Total Posts:  6
Lexington, GA

I almost have it…

#
# Skip import row, is not valid value “Simple Product “ for field “type”
# Skip import row, required field “sku” not defined
# Processed 100% 7/7 records
# Imported 0 records
# Finished profile execution.

I figured out the store one but cannot figure out what they want for a field “type”
or a “SKU”?

I put a sku number “201” in on the last try.

Any help Please.
Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

Web Master

I have succeed to import xls file in magento.
I can import catalog category and product in magento from xls file.
I have also developed a module for that.

If anyone need to help please contact me.
webcoder07@yahoo.com

Magento Community
Magento Community

Webcoder

Total Posts:  9

Web Master - 26 February 2009 10:47 AM

I have succeed to import category, product, product Image (multiple image per product) from xls file in magento.
I have also developed a module for that.

If anyone need to help please contact me.
webcoder07@yahoo.com

Magento Community
Magento Community

wjansen

Total Posts:  22

Hello,

I had the same problem trying to imoprt a XLS file. One would expect as one of the selectable options in the backend that this would work. Saving the excelsheet as a XML-file gets the job done. Nevertheless I’m facing a new problem trying to import the XML-file. My file counts 3799 records. Strange enbough only the first 305 records are being imported.  I even dropped record nr. 305 and 206 in a second attempt. But that didn’t help. The steps I followed were:
- I created one record in the Magento backend filling all the fields necessary and I needed.
- Then exported the file as csv and imported it into Excel. No problems sofar
- I then added all the content to the sheet using the fields as exported by Magento
- Once finished I saved the sheet as XML-file. Still no problems.
- Opened the backend and selected the XML-file for import.
Executing the profile does not show any error nor does it seems to be doing anything after a while until a timeout occurs. When looking at the total products only 305 records were added. Did the steps mentioned once again after having dropped all the data but with the same results.

Any one who encountered the same problem or knows what to do?
Thank you,

Magento Community
Magento Community

LAMASE

Total Posts:  12
Italy

wjansen - 23 November 2009 02:30 PM

Hello,

I had the same problem trying to imoprt a XLS file. One would expect as one of the selectable options in the backend that this would work. Saving the excelsheet as a XML-file gets the job done. Nevertheless I’m facing a new problem trying to import the XML-file. My file counts 3799 records. Strange enbough only the first 305 records are being imported.  I even dropped record nr. 305 and 206 in a second attempt. But that didn’t help. The steps I followed were:
- I created one record in the Magento backend filling all the fields necessary and I needed.
- Then exported the file as csv and imported it into Excel. No problems sofar
- I then added all the content to the sheet using the fields as exported by Magento
- Once finished I saved the sheet as XML-file. Still no problems.
- Opened the backend and selected the XML-file for import.
Executing the profile does not show any error nor does it seems to be doing anything after a while until a timeout occurs. When looking at the total products only 305 records were added. Did the steps mentioned once again after having dropped all the data but with the same results.

Any one who encountered the same problem or knows what to do?
Thank you,

Check the “number of rows” in the import profile: put “20”, or 50, or 100. This is not the limit of the imported rows, but the number of rows imported for each step. Keep the import popup opened while importing.
Probably is a memory limit problem.
If this doesn’t work try to make smaller xml file, and try it. If this works try with larger files progressively.

Magento Community
Magento Community

chiefair
Mentor

Total Posts:  1839

Various messages above about Excel not producing UTF-8, only able to produce UTF-16 and getting other product to post process Excel output.

Excel natively supports UTF-8 encoding. It’s just buried a little.

Use Excel 2007 to export UTF-8
Use Excel 2003 to export UTF-8

Access 2003 and 2007 have table export dialogs, choose CSV, then use the Advanced… button and select your encoding.

Magento Community
Magento Community

tbradley22

Total Posts:  45

Just found a great way to easily convert Microsoft MS Excel CSV files to UTF-8.... this solved about 2 hours of hassling with punctuation. If you have a mac just open it up in TextEdit then save as utf-8. That’s it!
--------
SEO and Website Design

Magento Community
Magento Community

idrivetoofast123

Total Posts:  17

Opened in OpenOffice Spreadsheet > Save As > CSV > UTF-8

Magento Community
Magento Community

Bing Dicklepuss

Total Posts:  91

@alexapete9

Don’t you think it’s rather silly that we have to go do research to find out which fields are required?  How hard would it be for Magento to just tell you right there at the import screen?

I’ve played around with the old import function for awhile (the one that it appears they may have begun phasing out as of 1.5), and it appears you need to have *at least* the following fields in all product import files.

store (admin)
websites (base)
attribute_set (Default)
type (simple)
sku

But for new items, rather than updates, I think you would also need these:

name
price
status (Enabled)
tax_class_id (Shipping)
visibility (Catalog, Search)

I put default values in parentheses.

Magento Community
Magento Community

chiefair
Mentor

Total Posts:  1839

@Bing Dicklepuss

New Product

Finding the needed fields for adding new Simple items is really simple. Go into product management. Create a new Simple Product. Click each side tab and look for the little Asterisk next to each field denoting it’s a required field. Write them all down. Yes you can import without them, and Yes you’re gonna hate yourself for doing it when your cart behaves weirdly because required fields are blank (If you miss any though, you can catch them on an update, see below). Attribute management will tell you what the actual attribute name is for storage in the table

The other key fields you won’t necessarily discover in the above are:

store
websites
attribute_set
type
sku
status
visibility

any other fields you don’t want to waste time on going through and manually updating, though they can all be caught on an Update (see below)

And to add to this, yes there should probably be some documentation. You’ve been waiting a shorter period of time than I have. And no, it won’t cover everything necessary because Magento is too flexible. The list of required import items is a moving target because attributes can be added and deleted at will and any new ones added that are created as required items need to be added to your new product import list.

Updating Existing Product

As to updating already existing product. you need several key fields

store
type
sku
and

whatever field or fields you need to update

It matches on the first three and updates the other fields to match your import.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 3