Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

First Custom Module Problems

AMMoyer

Total Posts:  10

I am going through the “Guide to Magento Commerce” tutorial, if you will, about using custom modules.  Everything seems to be fine up to the point where I try to activate the new template and then I get the following error.

WarningMage_Core_Block_Template::include(D:\wamp\www\magento\app\design\frontend\default\default\template\NewProduct/product_view_type_simple.phtml[function.Mage-Core-Block-Template-include]failed to open streamNo such file or directory  in D:\wamp\www\magento\app\code\core\Mage\Core\Block\Template.php on line 144
Trace
:
#0 D:\wamp\www\magento\app\code\core\Mage\Core\Block\Template.php(144): mageCoreErrorHandler(2, 'Mage_Core_Block...', 'D:\wamp\www\mag...', 144, Array)
#1 D:\wamp\www\magento\app\code\core\Mage\Core\Block\Template.php(144): Mage_Core_Block_Template::fetchView()
#2 D:\wamp\www\magento\app\code\core\Mage\Core\Block\Template.php(176): Mage_Core_Block_Template->fetchView('frontend\defaul...')
#3 D:\wamp\www\magento\app\code\core\Mage\Core\Block\Template.php(193): Mage_Core_Block_Template->renderView()
#4 D:\wamp\www\magento\app\code\core\Mage\Core\Block\Abstract.php(643): Mage_Core_Block_Template->_toHtml()
#5 D:\wamp\www\magento\app\code\core\Mage\Core\Block\Abstract.php(503): Mage_Core_Block_Abstract->toHtml()
#6 D:\wamp\www\magento\app\code\core\Mage\Core\Block\Abstract.php(454): Mage_Core_Block_Abstract->_getChildHtml('product_type_da...', true)
#7 D:\wamp\www\magento\app\design\frontend\default\default\template\catalog\product\view.phtml(62): Mage_Core_Block_Abstract->getChildHtml('product_type_da...')
#8 D:\wamp\www\magento\app\code\core\Mage\Core\Block\Template.php(144): include('D:\wamp\www\mag...')
#9 D:\wamp\www\magento\app\code\core\Mage\Core\Block\Template.php(176): Mage_Core_Block_Template->fetchView('frontend\defaul...')
#10 D:\wamp\www\magento\app\code\core\Mage\Core\Block\Template.php(193): Mage_Core_Block_Template->renderView()
#11 D:\wamp\www\magento\app\code\core\Mage\Core\Block\Abstract.php(643): Mage_Core_Block_Template->_toHtml()
#12 D:\wamp\www\magento\app\code\core\Mage\Core\Block\Text\List.php(43): Mage_Core_Block_Abstract->toHtml()
#13 D:\wamp\www\magento\app\code\core\Mage\Core\Block\Abstract.php(643): Mage_Core_Block_Text_List->_toHtml()
#14 D:\wamp\www\magento\app\code\core\Mage\Core\Block\Abstract.php(503): Mage_Core_Block_Abstract->toHtml()
#15 D:\wamp\www\magento\app\code\core\Mage\Core\Block\Abstract.php(454): Mage_Core_Block_Abstract->_getChildHtml('content', true)
#16 D:\wamp\www\magento\app\design\frontend\default\default\template\page\2columns-right.phtml(56): Mage_Core_Block_Abstract->getChildHtml('content')
#17 D:\wamp\www\magento\app\code\core\Mage\Core\Block\Template.php(144): include('D:\wamp\www\mag...')
#18 D:\wamp\www\magento\app\code\core\Mage\Core\Block\Template.php(176): Mage_Core_Block_Template->fetchView('frontend\defaul...')
#19 D:\wamp\www\magento\app\code\core\Mage\Core\Block\Template.php(193): Mage_Core_Block_Template->renderView()
#20 D:\wamp\www\magento\app\code\core\Mage\Core\Block\Abstract.php(643): Mage_Core_Block_Template->_toHtml()
#21 D:\wamp\www\magento\app\code\core\Mage\Core\Model\Layout.php(515): Mage_Core_Block_Abstract->toHtml()
#22 D:\wamp\www\magento\app\code\core\Mage\Core\Controller\Varien\Action.php(326): Mage_Core_Model_Layout->getOutput()
#23 D:\wamp\www\magento\app\code\core\Mage\Catalog\controllers\ProductController.php(129): Mage_Core_Controller_Varien_Action->renderLayout()
#24 D:\wamp\www\magento\app\code\core\Mage\Core\Controller\Varien\Action.php(349): Mage_Catalog_ProductController->viewAction()
#25 D:\wamp\www\magento\app\code\core\Mage\Core\Controller\Varien\Router\Standard.php(163): Mage_Core_Controller_Varien_Action->dispatch('view')
#26 D:\wamp\www\magento\app\code\core\Mage\Core\Controller\Varien\Front.php(174): Mage_Core_Controller_Varien_Router_Standard->match(Object(Mage_Core_Controller_Request_Http))
#27 D:\wamp\www\magento\app\Mage.php(447): Mage_Core_Controller_Varien_Front->dispatch()
#28 D:\wamp\www\magento\index.php(52): Mage::run()
I am sure the file name that is called is correct, but if I revert back to the original simple.phtml file all goes back to normal.  Is the problem with my template file itself?  Or am I missing something else?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

vianetz
Guru

Total Posts:  537
Munich, Germany

Without saying where you changed what we cannot help…

Magento Community
Magento Community

rrobinson

Total Posts:  15
Portland, Or

Post your xml that is loading the template.
Post a screenshot from explorer showing the template and directory structure

Magento Community
Magento Community

AMMoyer

Total Posts:  10

Here is the section of catalog.xml that I edited to load the template.  If I revert back to the virgin file it doesn’t bomb, but the template obviously doesn’t load either.

<PRODUCT_TYPE_simple>
        <
reference name="product.info">
            <
block type="catalog/product_view_type_simple" name="product.info.simple" as="product_type_data" template="NewProduct/product_view_type_simple.phtml"/>
        </
reference>
    </
PRODUCT_TYPE_simple>

I’ve attempted to attach the screenshot as requested also.  Thanks for your help

Image Attachments
screenshot.JPG

Magento Community
Magento Community

rrobinson

Total Posts:  15
Portland, Or

Create a Newproduct folder in app/designs/frontend/default/default/templates and copy your template there.

Then magento will be able to find them.

I haven’t read the tutorial so I’m not sure what it’s telling you to do.

I create the design folder in my module hierarchy just to hold the template files for distribution.
I then have to create the directory in the templates folder(above) and copy the phtml files there
when installing the module

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community