Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

1and1 Hosting Magento 1.4.1 Server 500 Error on Admin Login after 3 refreshes logs in fine

ocshawn

Total Posts:  16

I am on 1and1 Shared Hosting with Magento 1.4.1
I get a Server 500 Error on Admin Login after 3 or 4 refreshes on the server 500 error page it then logs in fine.
The server 500 Error also appears sporadically when doing other tasks in admin.  I have never seen this error on the frontend only the backend.

Things that didn’t work,

in magento root .htaccess file add

RLimitMEM 128000000 128000000

in php.ini placed in the root of your server/site (top level you have ftp access to)

register_globals=off
memory_limit 
128M
max_execution_time 

edit. there is a hack posted in the comments but no real solution has been found to this problem yet.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

mandurah

Total Posts:  20
Mesa, AZ (USA)

I have had this same, identical problem which has been beyond annoying. After I log in, I have to click F5 (refresh) or go back to the browser history and randomly click on a past page here and there to eventually being able to log in. I too have done the overkill with CHMOD file(s) and folders but the problem persists. As well I’ve made multiple htaccess editorials(changes) with no change in the prescribed problem. The hosting platform is also on 1and1 hosting. The only thing left that I can think of is contacting them to find out what/where I can find the error log at and go from there.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ocshawn

as far as i know magento just dosn’t work correctly on 1and1’s bask package, the general consensus between all of the forms that i read is this 1and1 package doesn’t have enough ram to work properly.

I spent a lot of time researching this and and the solutions i found is don’t go with 1and1 or don’t go with magento

Magento Community
Magento Community

mandurah

Total Posts:  20
Mesa, AZ (USA)

For the record in troubleshooting this problem, I’m on 1&1;’s"Business Package” (since 06’).

Having installed the latest build and patch (1.4.1.1) everything else seems to be in working order for the Magento software.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ocshawn

from what i can tell its the same problem on all the basic shared hosting packages; 1&1;Beginner 1&1;Home 1&1;Business 1&1;Developer

i can only say i have tested this problem on 1&1;Business and 1&1;Developer

Magento Community
Magento Community

fynder

Total Posts:  6

Any solutions to this ?

Magento Community
Magento Community

ocshawn

i have not found a solution ended up switching to a vps, i think the best solution is to just switch to a different hosting company.  I went with the VPS because the company is running 10 websites from a single backed with over 1000 products.

From my extensive research it sounds like if the above mentioned things work on some of the 1and1 server so it depends on your luck.

If they don’t work for you you can always try calling them didn’t help in my case but to each his own.

Good luck

Magento Community
Magento Community

craigcriv

Total Posts:  85

Did switching to a vps solve this for you?
I am thinking about going with a vps II server on 1and1. Seems like a good value and they do support magento pretty well.
I am running a site on ahome package now with no problems but want to add another site, so I think I will need a vps.

Are you pleased with the vps thus far?

Magento Community
Magento Community

ocshawn

yes switching to the vps did solve this as it is a lack of memory issue, beware that a vps takes some time to configure for magneto as 1and1 vps\’s don\’t come with all of the things magneto requires, like php5, but is fairly easy to install if you know bash.

Magento Community
Magento Community

craigcriv

Total Posts:  85

No I do not know bash.
Would you mind giving some instruction on how to install?

Magento Community
Magento Community

ocshawn

here is some of the places i went for help as always google is your friend
http://www.hagrin.com/322/installing-magento-1and1-vps-hosting
http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/6342/

Magento Community
Magento Community

jswinborne

Total Posts:  1

I too have had the same issue, but I have found a fix… maybe some might call it more of a hack, but it works good enough that I do not have to switch hosting companies. 

The problem is no matter what you put in your .htaccess file, or php.ini 1and1 will restrict any shared hosting plan to using 30M of memory.  This simply isn’t enough.  If you ask them to up the quantity, they will simply tell you to upgrade to a dedicated environment if you wish to use more memory.

So the fix?  A custom 500 Error page.  Since refreshing 3 or 4 times eventually allows the script to complete (by using 30M of memory each time to get further in the script I assume).  I made a custom 500 error that simply refreshes the page back to the admin section.  That did the trick for me.

I attached the HTML file I am using.  I am sure there are better ways to do this, but this one works.  Just make sure to update the url in the javascript to your admin directory’s location ( mine is “/shop/admin/").  Name the file, error500.html and place it in the root of your directory.

1and1’s documentation of custom 500 page:
http://faq.1and1.com/search/go.php?t=e596183

Cheers, and good luck,
Jeremy

File Attachments
error500.html  (File Size: 1KB - Downloads: 205)

Magento Community
Magento Community

rdallison

Total Posts:  7

@jswinborne - Nice hack. But if an error 500 occurs during a storefront process, a store visitor would be redirected to the administrative login page. Or am I missing something?

I have been tearing my hair out over this Error 500 issue ever since moving to 1.4.0.1. I need to find (at worst) a clean hack or (at best) a definitive solution that does NOT involve moving to another hosting package or provider.

Is it possible to alter the location.replace statement so that it redirects the browser to admin if the requested page was admin; or to storefront if the requested page was storefront?

I am not a javascript expert so your suggestions will be welcome.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community