Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

How would Magento work in the grand scheme of things in this situation? 

Shpigford

Total Posts:  171
Denver, CO

So we’re currently running our own homegrown solution here, but are seriously considering moving to Magento once a stable version is released.

Ultimately Magento would be part of a much larger site with a community and other tools (like the collections feature).

How would Magento fit in all of that? Would I want to install Magento at the root level and then somehow build off of it from there? Or would I install it in it’s own /shop/ directory and then tie in to the Magento database for everything else?

Just curious if there are any “nice to know” features with Magento that could help with integration on something that’s more than just straight up ecommerce.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Mark_Kimsal

Total Posts:  186
Michigan, USA

I think it depends on which you want to be more central to the site.  If it’s all about shopping, then build something inside magento’s framework.  Personally, I really don’t like the framework at all and think it is lacking in OOP, but that’s just me.  I’m in the middle of doing the same thing and opted to install magento side-by-side a CMS because of its database structure.  Magento’s database is designed strictly to work with its own libraries, it is not at all easy to deal with without them.

As for the cross-over in logins and other data sharing, you are going to have to write the code to do whatever integration you want, so do it which ever way makes you comfortable.  You will probably need to modify either your CMS login box or magento’s login box to point to 1 login script.  Then you make this script aware of the referrer (either by http referrer or URL variable) and then bounce the user back to where they came from, cms or store.  Same goes for login, modify either cms or store login box to point to one logout script and make the same adjustments.

You can also program inside magento’s framework but connect to another database for your content needs.  Personally, I wouldn’t because i’m not familiar enough with all the database layers and how to get a connection to another DB, but that’s easily solved with a forum post.  Now, would I change a lot of Mangento’s code… no, I wouldn’t want to program right “in” it or “next to” it, my store is my store and it is separate.  I want to be able to update the store as new versions come out, so I don’t want a lot of customizations all over the place.  For me it’s, “the store is the store”, people know they are in the store, we append “shop” to the site name, the template is slightly different, logins are not shared (because there aren’t logins on the CMS side right now).  We wanted a seamless shopping cart, but it proved too difficult.

It probably sounds like I’m bashing Magento, and I’m not, really.  I just feel that it’s a shopping cart system, and the framework and database are all tightly wrapped around that solution.  I mean, look, there’s only one “app” folder, makes me think that it’s just one application, nothing more.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Shpigford

Total Posts:  171
Denver, CO

Yeah. The more I look at things the more I like the idea of Magento but I’m thinking less and less that it will actually work as a heavily integrated solution.

I’d love to have some Magento developers chime in here.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community