Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Product Attributes - What a pain! 

kullysupply

Total Posts:  48

Ok, the attributes aspect of Magento is great. The layered navigation is awesome. But I can’t believe that there’s not a better way to add attributes than manually, one by one.

We have an attribute of length, for example, that ranges from 7” to 32-3/8” and contains dozens of possibilities in between, and these need to be included in the layered nav. I wish I could just set upan attribute without actually adding the options. The options would automatically be created on product upload.

Also, if we add a product with a different length in the future, the attribute options are not organized numerically (or alphabetically), but rather in the order they are added, which makes selecting an option really annoying if you happen to add a product manually.

I like Magento better than LiveCart, but LiveCart’s attribute functionality is great. You can even include text input fields in the layered navigation (as opposed to drop-down/mult-select only).

I’ve seen some code out there to get around this limitation, but as often as Magento is updated, I hate to think I’d have to reapply the custom code each time we upgrade. Any ideas?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community