Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Importing/Exporting Items

tksfor

Total Posts:  11

So basically, I want to add a bunch of items to my database offline using Microsoft Excel or something (it’s too slow to do it online).

I tried looking it up, looking in the var/export folder but all I got was:

/home/.vipurr/cokenny/site.com/var/tmp/batch_1.tmp

Can anyone assist me? Or is there a way I can do this item adding offline then synch it up with the actual site?

Thanks so much in advance for the help!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Oldgamer

Total Posts:  142

Magento has import/export features you can use.
To make it easier for you I suggest you to do following:
Add one or two products using admin panel as usual.
Then use “export all products” profile to get csv file, which you can download using FTP.
Open this file in your Excel and look at the columns headers. It gives you a lot of info.
Create new products file in Excel similar to what you have (same headers). Don’t forget to fill column sku, it is required.
Then you can import this file to Magento using import products profile.

Remember: it is a bit tricky with the images:
In the file you get from Magento images column will look like “/A/P/apples.jpg” or something similar.
You need just fill column with /apples.jpg and before importing csv file to Magento upload all images to folder media/images. Magento will take care creating directories and coping the images from media/images folder.

After you import your products, you need to open your products and uncheck check box “Exclude” for images, otherwise they will not display. Leave “Exclude” for thumbnail, though.

Good luck

Magento Community
Magento Community

xactrecords

Total Posts:  80

Any idea where custom options (attributes) are stored?  I do an export and they don’t show up.  It just has a field that says custom options with a 1 in the column

Magento Community
Magento Community

Oldgamer

In setting of export profile wizard, you should be able to choose “All fields” or “Only mapped fields”. If you click “Only mapped fields”, bellow you should be able to see all available fields after you press “Add field mapping”. Check if you can see the fields you want there.
After I added attributes I can see all fields in there with no problem. You just can choose ‘All fields” and it will export all fields possible.

Magento Community
Magento Community

xactrecords

I have tried this but under custom mapping it doesn’t give me the option for those custom fields that are available in 1.1.6.

Also i find it odd that SKU is required even if you use options that have unique skus.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Oldgamer

xactrecords - 27 October 2008 06:52 AM

I have tried this but under custom mapping it doesn’t give me the option for those custom fields that are available in 1.1.6.

Also i find it odd that SKU is required even if you use options that have unique skus.

I’m not sure, probably it’s a time to upgrade to 1.1.6 or wait 1.1.7. If I was you I upgraded to 1.1.6 cause 1.1.7 can have some bugs in a start.
Also, it requires SKU because that the only unique field in the export/import file.

Magento Community
Magento Community

xactrecords

I appreciate the help.  I am running the newest version which is 1.1.6.

I think using custom options is nice and you can duplicate products, but on export they are no where to be found.  It has to be in the SQL file somewhere.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Oldgamer

xactrecords - 27 October 2008 07:11 AM

I appreciate the help.  I am running the newest version which is 1.1.6.

I think using custom options is nice and you can duplicate products, but on export they are no where to be found.  It has to be in the SQL file somewhere.

I never played with custom options, I only added some attributes and attribute sets, so I am afraid I can not help you here.

Magento Community
Magento Community

xactrecords

No worries you pointed me in the right direction.  Best of luck with your site and thanks again for the help.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community