Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Why does everybody has problems with showing products on Frontend ? 

invitro59

Total Posts:  58

Evening everyone (evening in France)

I have seen so many people having trouble to see products in their frontend, since I used the sample products coming with the magento demo store I never had the problem.

Now that I played a little bit around and had an unsolved issue, I decide to reinstall magento but without the demo product and start creating my own products.

Ouppssss !!! Now trouble comes, I have been Gxxgling (sorry but they make me pay for publicity so xx) all around but I cannot understand why products are not showing on frontend with this code :

{{block type="catalog/product_new" name="dummy_name" template="catalog/product/new.phtml"}}

But they are showing with this code:

{{block type="catalog/product_list" category_id="2"  template="catalog/product/list.phtml"}}

I have made so many changes during one day that I would not be able to go back to all what I did.

I only created one product and many categories could this be the problem ? any help would be apprevciated.

If someone has a good website or wiki to learn how this works thank you to point me to a link

Sorry if there is any mistakes in my english.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

AnnaM
Guru

Total Posts:  325
San Francisco

Hi, I am not sure why you are dealing with any code at all. You create a category in admin (Catalog...Manage Categories) Click Default Category and then Add Sub Cateogroy.  Give it a name, etc, Make sure it is “Is Active” Now this category will show on your home page in top navbar

Then Catalog...Products...Add new Product.  Filll in the various tabs about the proudct and one of those tabs is Categories, assign the proudct to the category you just created.

Maybe I misunderstand your quesiton, but if I do understand it, there is no need for going into code at all.

Cheers

Magento Community
Magento Community

Brandlive_br
Guru

Total Posts:  653
Buenos Aires, Argentina

The first block example works.
A few minutes ago I used on another Magento implementation.

Did you read the article about the use of that block? (http://www.magentocommerce.com/wiki/groups/248/display_products_on_home_page)

Maybe you forgot to add the “Set Product as New from Date” and “Set Product as New to Date” attributes.

Magento Community
Magento Community

invitro59

@AnnaM

I wish I would not have to deal with code but it was the only way to show something on the front end, I just pasted it from somewhere.

If I put nothing I get nothing in the front end, for the 2 other solution you read about it. As I said if I use the sample products from Varien I do not have the trouble.

How is the weather in the bay area ??? (use to live for five year on Pacific Avenue and Van Ness then San mateo then Redwood city, now back to France)

@Damian Culotta (sorry we do not have the “a” with this accent on the french keyboard, and I am too lazy to find the ASCII code for it ;o). )

I did put a start and stop date for the product and the new product but I double checked and for whatever reason it was not, thanks for pointing me to this.

So now when I click on the item I get a nice : Not Found

The requested URL /magento/xxxxxxxxxxx.html was not found on this server.

Why is this now ???

It looks like a url rewriting issue as it does not work when you click on the link and have in the address:

http://localhost/magento/xxxxxxxxx.html

If I change the address by adding index.php as below then it works

http://localhost/magento/index.php/xxxxxxxxx.html

Does anyone has this problem

Magento Community
Magento Community

Brandlive_br
Guru

Buenos Aires, Argentina

@invitro59

I can’t explain you why you get that url error.
I follow the steps that I told you and it works without problems.

Maybe you change your installation path?.

Did you clean your Magento caché?

Magento Community
Magento Community

invitro59

Clean magento cache “yes” still the same

Could this be related that this is hosted on a local windows machine ???

I remember to turn on URL rewriting at install, where do we turn it off again ??? Mean time I look if I find something on the forum

Magento Community
Magento Community

Brandlive_br
Guru

Buenos Aires, Argentina

Let’s make a small review to Magento requirements.

1) Are you using Apahce or IIS?.

2) If you’re using Apache, do you have the mod_rewrite module? (.so files into Apache folders)

3) If you got that file, do you turn on that module in your Apahce configuration?.

4) Last one. You’re virtual host has something about “AllowOverride”?

Magento Community
Magento Community

branko_ajzele

Total Posts:  35
Croatia

Some clients sell single product. They want the single product to be displayed on home page. Approach like these above won’t gave you full options like the most important one Add to cart button.

Sure you can call the single product to be displayed on front page like

{{block type="catalog/product_view" product_id="76" template="catalog/product/view.phtml"}}
Where 76 is the id of an product, but it wont give you the Add to cart and few other product info stuff as some people might expect.

To be more precise, you wont get the page parts where getHtml and getChildHtml are called in view.phtml. Since Add to cart is called from within the view.phtml you wont see it.

<?php echo $this->getChildHtml('addtocart'?>

Some stuff simply need to be programmed for now.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community