Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Can I move my local magento site to live environment and keep attributes I have created. 

jolyon

Total Posts:  47

Can I move my local Magento site to live environment and keep attributes and attribute sets that I have created.

I have seen that there are a few threads on moving my magento site from local environment to a live environment. I just wanted to know whether there is a way to keep all the attributes and attribute sets that i have created in my local environment when i do this move. So that I do not have to create them all agian. Hope that makes sense.

Any help much appreciated

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

furnitureforyoultd
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  833

You should just be able to backup your database and then restore it on your live site - your attributes etc should all be in tact

Magento Community
Magento Community

jolyon

but do i still need to actually create the attributes, and attribute sets, in the CMS of magento as i did on my local site? EG on my local site I have created various different color options and size optons and called the resulting attribute sets color_option1, color_option2 etc

Magento Community
Magento Community

furnitureforyoultd
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  833

No, restoring a backup will overwrite anything on the live site with what you’ve made. everything will be exported into the backup file, you just have to import/restore it

Magento Community
Magento Community

jolyon

thanks for help.

so if I understand you correctly I will not have to make those attribute sets again. That is good news

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community