Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Procedure for upgrading from 1.0.19870.1 to 1.1.6

GlennM

Total Posts:  16

Hi guys,
I’ve got a store running 1.0.19870.1 on a linux box here.

What’s the best way for me to upgrade to 1.1.6? I’ve just been reading through everyone’s horror stories and am pretty keen not to have my store down and broken after the upgrade!

Cheers

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Crucial
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  770
Phoenix, AZ

Because the version difference is pretty big (in terms of Magento), I would definitely setup a “staging” area where you can attempt to upgrade a non-production version of your store.

What you would do is, setup a subdomain or subdirectory on your domain, like staging.yourdomain.com. Then, install the latest version of Magento. Next, you would copy your theme directories, media folder, and local.xml file over (with updated database settings). You would then create a MySQL dump of your production store and import that to a clean database for the staging site.

There’s a wiki article that will tell you exactly what folders need to be archived and moved over, it’s written for moving Magento from one server to another, but it would apply here as well. Here’s the link:

http://www.magentocommerce.com/wiki/groups/227/moving_magento_to_another_server/

That way you can test things out and see if it works or what errors come up so you don’t potentially mess up your production store. If all goes well, you can either move the staging store in place of the production store, or do the same thing over again without setting up a staging area.

Just a note, you should always create a full site backup before performing any type of upgrade or move like this.

Magento Community
Magento Community

GlennM

Thanks, that was pretty straight forward.

The only places I had a few hassles were with my custom theme having some outdated code, but once I sorted that it was all good!

Now to try and track down a way to tag each order with the referring site they came through from. Anyone know if that’s possible.

Magento Community
Magento Community

kay

Total Posts:  223
Germany 德国,China 中国

I think there is a problem with the export. For example i will export the customer data, than the customer group data will not put together.
If i export the products, the categories and the attributes will not export.
So i have to copy the data manually in the database, but the IDs are diffrent now :(

There are no other way to export and import of all products, attributes and categories together?

Magento Community
Magento Community

cdryk

Total Posts:  10

Hi,

My problem is that i need to upgrade a website from 1.0.19870.4 and 1.1.6.
(I’m french and not bilingual so… Excuse me for my mistakes...)

Can you explain me what is the best way ?

1. My first idea was to use magento connect… and to upgrade it by execute : Magento_core/Mage_All_Latest
On my computer, I installed WAMP server. I created a test’s database with sample_data for 1.0.19870 version.
Next I installed 1.0.19870.4 version on y www directory with my database.
I upgraded it by mageno_connect and I got call method errors… I replaced the app and skin directory by the same directory of the 1.1.6 version and it works…
I’m not sure it’s very good because I cannot test every functions of magento !
How do you think of that ?

2. My second idea was to install 1.1.6 version by pointing the 1.0.1987 database.
That doesn’t work… Did I make a mistake ? Must it work ?

3. I don’t take time to test the solution explained by Crucial…
Do you think I’ll find all my products, orders, etc… by this third method ?
I dont want to lose some data.

I’m really lost and I don’t know how i can make this upgrade !…
My problem is that the database shema has changed between the 1.0.19870.4 and 1.1.6 version.
So I’m affraid that the dump of my 1.0.19870.4 version can not be import into my 1.1.6 database version because some table has changed…

Thanks for your help…

Magento Community
Magento Community

GlennM

If you can, set up a copy of your site like Cruicial mentioned, and do all the testing on that. You’ll probably have a few problems if you’ve customised a theme with 1.0.19870.x, but the solutions to these are easy and readily available.

I dumped the database straight out of my 1.0.9870.1 store, and pointed my 1.1.6 installation at it and it worked fine.

Magento Community
Magento Community

cdryk

Total Posts:  10

What do you mean by “I point my database on 1.1.6 version” ?

Do you want to say that :
You installed the 1.1.6 version and next you made a dump of your 1.0.1687.x database version to import it in your 1.1.6 ?

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community