Magento Forum

Not able to move past shipping address in checkout process

rzazueta

Total Posts:  34

Essentially, I go through the checkout process and am able to fill out the form for my billing address, hit continue and fill out the form for my shipping address (though, when I tell it to use my billing address for shipping, it does nothing). After filling out my shipping address, I hit continue. The browser apparently makes a trip to the server, but it never progresses past the shipping address and clicking on the “Shipping Method” bar does not pop it up.

I do have a custom design applied to my site. I saw elsewhere on here to try switching back to the default design and test it there. It does, in fact, work in the default template as expected, but I haven’t touched the checkout process in my custom design so I’m not sure what’s happening here. I did upgrade from 1.2 to 1.6, so I went in and grabbed the 1.6 checkout template code from the default folder and dropped it into the custom template folder, but that seems to have done nothing.

Any ideas what’s happening here?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

rzazueta

Total Posts:  34

It would be nice if someone at Varien actually, you know, did something to support the open source community their marketing claims to care about. As this particular issue has laid fallow for days now, I took it upon myself to find the answer.

And, lo and behold, the problem was that I assumed a company full of professional developers, such as Varien claims to be, would grasp the concept of separation of business logic from display code. Silly me. Turns out, the reason this failed to work was because my template did not use the same CSS variables as the original template. And, in the original developer’s infinite wisdom, the Ajax code used in the one-page checkout - why they bother calling it that when there’s no multi-page checkout to speak of, I don’t know - calls a class called “col-right” in order to populate and progress the checkout to the next step.  This class, by the way, is NOT defined in one of the checkout sub-templates like you would expect - it’s defined in the original 2columns-right.phtml template, which forces you to use that template for your checkout system whether you want to or not! Since I rewrote this template to better fit the design of my site, I removed that class call in there, so the Ajax calling that section never happened. Since it created no errors either in the lame Magento error wrapper nor in Firefox’s Error Console, I had to line-by-line replace code until it broke. So the solution - either rewrite your template and rename your right column back to right-col, or drastically rewrite the Magento code, changing line 50 of skin/frontend[/templatename]/[subname]/js/opcheckout.js so that the first param to Ajax.update matches the class you assigned to the right column in your version fo the right column page template or, even better, use a class wrapper around the progress box that is populated in that right hand column.

Were this the only instance of such a thing here, I probably wouldn’t be so pissed off, but the entire over-engineered code base of this thing is chock full of lousy programming decisions just like that one. I’ve spent well over 60 hours now trying to work with this code to do what ought to be VERY simple template modifications. I have found myself re-writing core code to do simple things, like to only display a specific category and its children and no other categories. As it is, I’ve had to abandon the parts of my design that relied on the template knowing what category it was (i.e. to display a list of available subcats for that category in a special menu) because the functionality that is supposed to get that information flat doesn’t work, returning only one category - a second level category that often has nothignt o do with my current location in the site.

So, I;d recommend for the folks Googling to find information about whether Magento is really everything they say it is - don’t bother. The code has almost no comments, other than one-liner comments that essentially repeat the name of the function, and Varien does nothing to support their community. This forum is chock full of people desperate for answers to their questions and precious, precious few answers. In other words - you can expect absolutely no support for Magento from Varien unless you’re willing to cough up big bucks, even if you;re a seasoned PHP developer whose contributions may actually help improve the product (they’ve made it pretty clear they’re not interested in anyone’s help).

Varien has the right to make a buck on their product, but they shouldn’t use the Open Source idea as just marketing BS. If they were genuinely serious about making their product open source, they would support the community of developers trying to make the product robust by addressing the questions being asked and creating a set of documentation for developers that wasn’t just some hackneyed explanation of their philosophy they cribbed from some “Xtreme Programming” guide somewhere. Were I not already chest deep in this project, I’d have already abandoned it in favor of something else. Reading the docs on their site and working with the demo, I really thought this was as robust as they said. But, as soon as I got past changing the colors of my template, I ran into nothing but trouble. This has been the most frustrating experience I’ve had in my 13 years of programming experience.

Rob Z.

Magento Community
Magento Community

oofman

Total Posts:  1

Finaly a useful post.

I cant agree more. I have been programming in php for about 4 years now. I this was one of the most awfully experiences i’ve had. we have had to hack this system in such a way that it will never be up-datable, and purely because there is no help online. I came across about 20 posts where the issue mentioned is exactly my problem but there is just no responses and no help to be found. My company have to do about 3 more ecommerce after this one, and i have already told them that there is no way in hell that we are using Magento, there is just no support.

LOL:

Just another one hack!!!!

For the payment checkout process, because my templates changed, and i’m only using the one-col layout for this page, it obviously isnt working for reasons stated above.

All i did was include the Right Col in the template and add Style="display:none" (and she works 100%)
lol, very bad hack, goes against so many rules, but if you dont have the time then anything goes.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community