Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

add a custom skeleton template. 

mathmax

Total Posts:  44

Hello,

I’m trying for hours to add a custom skeleton template for the Home page but I don’t understand how things work…

First I just tried to change the the skeleton template from 2 columns to 3 columns. In the designer guide it is said that this could done in the layout xml files but I don’t understand in which file and especially why there isn’t a single xml file that contains informations relative to a page.
For example, I expected something like this :

<Pages>
    <
Page>
        <
Name>Product</Name>
        <
SkeletonTemplate>2columns-right.phtml</SkeletonTemplate>
    </
Page>
    <
Page>
        <
Name>Product</Name>
        <
SkeletonTemplate>3columns.phtml</SkeletonTemplate>
    </
Page>
</
Pages>

Instead, if I have well understood, there the possibility to assign a skeleton template to a page in any xml files of the layout folder, isn’t it ?
Moreover you have to know which is the name of the section that represent a page. “<catalog_category_default>” represent the category page, but I still not know which is the section name for the Home page.

Finally, I read in a post of this forum that it is possible to change the skeleton template in CMS -> Manage Pages. Well it works, but I can only use the existing templates. I added a .phtml in the template/Page folder but it doesn’t appear in the list of available layouts. Could anybody explain me how to add my custom skeleton template ?

Thank you in advance for any explanations on how all that stuff works.

Best regards,

mathmax

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community