Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Unable to order my category items using Position

Thoths Tablet

Total Posts:  5

I’ve been trying to order my category items using the Position field without any success.

I’m go to my category via Catalog > Manage Categories
then I choose my active subcategory and select the Category Products tab.

All my active products are listed, each with a value of 0 in the Position column.
I edit each entry to order them from 0 to 8, and hit the Save Category button at the top of the page.
When I examine the Category Products tab again, they all have a a value of 0 again.

I get no errors so I’m at a loss to explain this.
Does anyone have any ideas what might be wrong?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

AnnaM
Guru

Total Posts:  325
San Francisco

one thinig that may fix that, as it does a lot of seemingly inexplicable tings, is to delete the folder /var/cache not all of /var, just the subfolder /cache It clears up a lot of stuff. I have done it a million times. smile Give that a shot

Magento Community
Magento Community

Thoths Tablet

Total Posts:  5

Anna,

I deleted the /cache directory and tried to set some positions, still no luck.

The cache directory rebuilt as I’d expect. I wondered if my input wasn’t being saved from the Category page, so I made a change on the Custom Design tab, and it worked fine...that’s the only troubleshooting I’ve been able to think of.  I have noticed one other oddity - I have no idea if it could have any relation - when I try to go to System >Configuration > System, I get a blank page.

Thanks for the cache advice even though it didn’t work out this time Anna.

Magento Community
Magento Community

AnnaM
Guru

Total Posts:  325
San Francisco

SUre no problem. Keep it in mind for fhe future.  Hate to say it, but that tsounds pretty bad about the blank page. Chcukle, agin, you might try the /var/cache thing, but that sounds like part of the db is corrupt.  But I am far from an expert.  I might try myself MOVING /var/sessions to another locton and let it rebuild that too. You can always move it back, but then I am sort of daring as I keep plenty of backups of everything.  smile I am a diddler.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community