Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

jshpro2’s “censored” post--re restricting EE licensing

Kara Heinrichs
Guru

Total Posts:  482
aa, mi, us

jshpro2--I do need to delete all of your other spam posts, which will include your re-post in this thread, so I’m restoring it below and am not censoring it. (jshpro2 has also provided the following link with the post http://pastebin.org/388775).  Your account was banned, I’ll check with the moderators as to why. I don’t have a way to reset it from my view of the admin, but will check with the sys admins on Monday about restoring it provisionally. In the meanwhile, please feel free to make another account to follow up on the thread, but please also abide by the rules of forum.

=====================
From jshpro2:

# of times Magento has censored my message forcing me to re-post it - 3

Magento does not allow 3rd party extension developers access to enterprise code, which means by buying enterprise edition, That means when you buy it you technically agree not to share the code with any independent contractors. We had a great thread discussing the implications, and last week a Magento spokesperson contact me about it. We scheduled a conference call and they did not meet their end of the deal (they never called me). Today I log on and they DELETED the thread.

Censorship is even worse. Its like Magento saying hey we know about this, we’re guilty, we want to continue doing it this way too regardless of the ethics.

Proof - search google, they deleted the thread!

Magento - Why are you restricting your enterprise customers ...
5 posts - 3 authors - Last post: Mar 8
Why are you restricting your enterprise customers? ... I have enterprise users purchasing my modules. I just learned that enterprise edition ...

I will keep re-posting this. You cannot block me. I will post 500 threads next time.

I have enterprise users purchasing my modules. I just learned that enterprise edition is “version 1.7” and Varien has significantly branched the code from that in their community edition.

Customers purchasing my modules trying to use them with Enterprise edition (which they paid you $10,000 for… when I only want to charge them $35 for RMA functionality YOU GUYS neglected to give them).

Unfortunately it looks like both:

A) My code doesn’t happen to work with Enterprise out of the box (because it is extremely branched from community Ed.)
B) You’ve got all your customers to sign an agreement saying they can’t send me the Enterprise Ed. code for purposes of making my modules support them.

So my question to Magento is; how can you ethically sell someone a software for $10,000, with “1,700 quality extensions” as your sales pitch. And then turn around in the developer’s face and say “you cannot see the code though”.

So in other words Varien is letting these people pay the $10k, and doesn’t care that I’m sending refunds left & right, and that they have upset customers who cannot use modules, left and right.

I await Variens response. Maybe they will censor me like they’ve done in the past?

What if you guys had a designer you wanted to hire to change something on your site?
What if you wanted to hire a developer to tweak some functionality?

My current understanding is that you may not, since Enterprise customers are forbidden from sharing the code with third parties. By allowing me to work on your site you would breach your Enterprise contract.

In other words you are paying $10,000 to Magento to get yourself locked in to going back thru Magento for all support… and seeing as these customers keep purchasing my modules, it does not look like these customers are happy with said support.

[quote=ShopGuy]Dang, makes me glad I did not end up purchasing the enterprise version.

Yeah I would saw its a flaw in Varien’s business model. Instead of charging each customer $300 or something and making a free version for developers, they have made this huge gap between the community & enterprise edition. Not only are they two totally unrelated products now basically, but look at the contrast in the licensing terms. The free one is yours to keep & change.

But suddenly when you pay $10k you get a different product, better in some ways, worse in others.

I would say this is a fundamental business mistake by Varien. They should focus on one product, make an educational/developer version and enforce it thru serial #s, (if they have to charge for something)

I applaud them for being so “open source”, but at the same time to me it looks like they are being evil with the other product. I don’t see why they wouldn’t just charge everyone the same flat $1,000, or $500 or something like that.. and offer a free version for restricted use only. That would be wiser of them.

Or at least they should make sure they’re not going to offer you two completely different products and imply they are the same product. I sell many different modules, and I’m just a “small development shop”. Surely with all the resources they have they could clean up the code so both editions are compatible. If as a work-at-home developer I can successfully do it, they can too

And I don’t see why they are so worried about code sharing. Code sharing is in their best interest, because then they can sue if someone made money off software they did not license. The code sharing is going to happen either way, but all they’ve done is troubled the paying customers.

Reminds me of the RIAA, pretending to be open by letting you listen to the first 30 seconds of the song, but if you get caught file sharing a song you already “bought” you still get sued. If you bought it is yours. If I buy a car I can take it where I want to get it worked on, you should be able to do the same with your code.

=====================

[quote=Flaxton]I am actually in the trial process of Magento Enterprise. The ONLY reason we choose to go with Magento vs BigCommerce(Interspire) was for the attribute functionality out of the box. In all honesty, it was specifically the “vehicle fits” module that this young man above has made. It is unfortunate to learn that this YMM might not work. :(

We are still investigating which version we need, but we cannot go with the community version for Magento because of all the enterprise functionality.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:471fgPPx6rcJ:www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/83462/+restricting+enterprise+users+magento&cd;=2&hl;=en&ct;=clnk≷=us&client;=firefox-a

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:471fgPPx6rcJ:www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/83462/+restricting+enterprise+users+magento&cd;=2&hl;=en&ct;=clnk≷=us&client;=firefox-a

=====================

Hey,

I just saw your thread about the licensing issues.  I’m sorry to hear you’ve been having issues, but I’d like to try and help you.

The first thing I’d like to know is, do you remember who from the team you spoke to and scheduled a call with?  If they really didn’t call you back and they were supposed to, that really would be something I’m concerned in figuring out.

Second, I was having trouble following the post and he thread of the conversation and would like to hear a little more of the background from you.  As I understand it, you have customers on EE who want to use your CE module and since its not working they cant give you code you need to make it work because of licensing?

Please let me know and I will try and help you as much as possible to resolve this.

Koby

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

magefan125

Total Posts:  3

I responded to the thread with a new account like you said and you deleted it. You keep banning my new accounts so I continue to spam. I see the thread is restored so I will stop for now. If you don’t restore my account and/or stop censoring the message it will continue to be spammed everywhere. Leave it up for good this time, and make haste on lifting the ban. Thank you.

Magento Community
Magento Community

magefan125

When you click the thread on the board index it says thread not found. Yet when I click thru to the forum then to the thread it finds the thread. Please give the message the same visibility as every other thread.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Kara Heinrichs
Guru

Total Posts:  482
aa, mi, us

I deleted the posts and accounts associated with your spam and profanity, which were, I’m sure you know, the accounts silenceme, stopcensoringme, and censorthisasshole1. If you responded with one of those then, yes, your post would have gone away when the queue was processed.  Glad to see you’ve made a new account. The post has the exact same visibility as all others and clicks thru fine for me.  Perhaps a caching issue?

Magento Community
Magento Community

magefan125

Would you please unblock my jshpro2 account.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community