Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

How do I specify URLs for downloadable files? 

xjunglist2

Total Posts:  1

I have a site that I just set up, recently upgraded to the new 1.4.1.0.  I have several downloadable products, all of which have files that are larger than the upload limit on my server.  I tried placing my files in the media/downloadable/files folder (in subfolders), but when I finally get to download the files, it always says
“An error occurred while getting the requested content. Please contact the store owner.”
How do I get my URL-based files to work?

thanks in advance!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

webrightnow

Total Posts:  65
Glasgow

I have the same problem on two sites, one with Magento 1.4.1.0 and one with 1.4.1.1. I have posted on many forums but got nowhere with it. Most shared server configurations limit uploads, some as low as 4MB. Mine, on a hosting reseller account, has a 20MB limit. Still not enough for video files or whole music albums. The URL field / FTP upload combination would seem like the perfect solution, shame it doesn’t work. The general point of view amongst Magento developers is: don’t run it on a shared environment. Unfortunately we are not all clever enough to configure and maintain our own servers or rich enough to pay someone to do it for us. Otherwise we wouldn’t use user-friendly, open source programs, right? I have been using Magento for years and it is getting better, but my god if I had a dollar for every time I got stuck trying to get it to do what it’s supposed to… well let’s just say I’d be rich enough to buy the enterprise edition which seemingly does work..!

If you do find a solution anywhere, please let me know. I’ll do the same (remember to click the “notify me” box below).

Magento Community
Magento Community

webrightnow

Total Posts:  65
Glasgow

Well, actually after all the grumbling I managed to get it to work. I followed this thread:
http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/31702/P15/

There are several steps followed by different people in that thread, I tried a few things and I’ll just tell you what finally worked for me:

- Created a directory right from my root Magento folder, called it “downloads” but the name doesn’t matter. I have kept all folder and filenames lowercase and no spaces because apparently it’s important.
- Zipped the mp3 file: it was 32 MB, my PHP server limits are 20MB so I uploaded it to the folder via FTP.
- Inside the folder I put an .htaccess file containing just:

Order allow,deny
Allow from all

- I then changed the “downloads” directory permissions to 777 with the CHMOD command (I’m on Linux server, you can’t do this on Windows server). This is probably a major security issue but what the hell, I’m a trusting sort of guy.
- I re-entered the URL in the downloadable product configuration, with the full HTTP address. Saved obviously.
- Set “Order Item Status to Enable Downloads” to “Pending” in System - Configuration - Catalog - Downloadable Product Options.  In here I also changed the maximum number of downloads from 0 to 10000 and made the products shareable, these steps shouldn’t be necessary but that’s what I did.
- I disallowed Guest Checkout in System - Configuration - Checkout - Allow Guest Checkout. This forces buyers to create an account because Magento needs you to be logged in to download products.
- Tested the system with Paypal Sandbox (Payments Standard which will be the only payment I will accept).

I was jumping up and down when the link finally worked. It took so much time and caused so much frustration, I wish the Magento team would post some instructions on their knowledgebase to help people with this issue.

This worked for me but then this is Magento we are talking about, so chances are it won’t work for everybody. It’s trial and error basically - not how I would choose to spend my time to be honest.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community