Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Change the default of category, product and thumbnail images. 

mikeinspain

Total Posts:  108
Alicante, Spain

Hi all

I have a little challenge that I don’t think many others have perhaps need to deal with.

I need to change the default size for some images specifically for categories (see link):
http://capitalhairandbeautyspain.com/store/hair/colour-and-bleach/semi-permanent-colour/xp100

Also that of the thumbnail images when displayed within the grid view (see link):
http://capitalhairandbeautyspain.com/store/hair/styling/gel

Is it possible to change the values that magento displays these images.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Kara Heinrichs
Guru

Total Posts:  482
aa, mi, us

I just created another theme that only contained modified phtml files for the category list and product page.  Then you can apply that theme using the “custom design” tabs for the specific category or product pages you want to change. 

If all your styling and other mods are in the default theme for your new interface, the pages with the custom design applied will use the 2 files you provide in your alternate theme and default to the default theme for all the rest of the styling and page layouts etc.

Magento Community
Magento Community

mikeinspain

Alicante, Spain

kara thanks for the reply

i’m actually using a modified theme to override the grid/list view, so that is a possibility i guess.

What I am getting at is this.  Is there any file that I can modify the actual values or dimensions for the template images as detailed above.  Eg. Thumbnail 150 x 150px down to 60px x 60px…

Magento Community
Magento Community

Kara Heinrichs
Guru

Total Posts:  482
aa, mi, us

ohh.... so all your category and product pages will have a different size image from the default, not on a category by category basis?

It feels like there should be a configuration setting for that someplace, doesn’t there?  Maybe somebody else will be able to weigh in with the mystical setting, but I haven’t found it.  I’ve just changed what appears to be the hard-coded image sizes for the cat pages in template/catalog/product/list.phtml and for the product page in template/catalog/product/view.phtml and template/catalog/product/view/media.phtml.

I’ll keep watching this thread too to see if someone knows a cleaner way to do this.  I’d love to know too.

Magento Community
Magento Community

mikeinspain

Alicante, Spain

Pretty much

There are close to 4000 products, but I simply don’t have access to good quality/size images. All the thumbnails are very small images not only in size but also dimensions.

I would like to get that category image down a bit too, but not sure how to approach that either!!  grin Any thoughts?

Magento Community
Magento Community

greenflame

Total Posts:  5

Any solution found for this problem?

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community