Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Random product display order in catigories. 

girls-obsession

Total Posts:  19

I want the products that are displayed in each of my categories to be presented in a random order to keep a fresh view on each visit.  I have this working by running the following SQL query across my database to create a random position for each of the products.

UPDATE catalog_category_product_index
SET position = (RAND() * 1000)

That works great when I run it manually from myPHPadmin and the resulting PHP code it produces is

$sql = “UPDATE catalog_category_product_index\n”
. “SET position = (RAND() * 1000)”;

My problem is that every attempt to fire it from my Cron Job has failed.  I have tried adding the PHP code to my cron.php file but that does nothing.  Witch of the codes should I use and where should I put it to get it to function????

Cheers!!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

girls-obsession

Ok here is what I am trying to use in my php file.

<?php

$db['host'] = 'myhostname';
$db['name'] = 'myhostname_mydatabasename';
$db['user'] = 'myhostname_myusername';
$db['pass'] = 'mypassword';

$sql = "UPDATE catalog_category_product_index\n"
. "SET position = (RAND() * 1000)";

?>

This is saved in a php called randomizer.php in my root directory.  The Cron calls and executes it without errors but the update of the database fails.

Magento Community
Magento Community

girls-obsession

Ok if anyone is interested I got it working!!

I have a php file called randomizer.php in my root directory that contains the following.

########################################################################################

<?php

if (!$link = mysql_connect('localhost', 'myusername', 'mypasword')) {
echo 'Could not connect to localhost';
exit;
}

if (!mysql_select_db('mydatabase', $link)) {
echo 'Could not select database database';
exit;
}

$sql = "UPDATE catalog_category_product_index\n"
. "SET position = (RAND() * 1000)";

$result = mysql_query($sql, $link);

if (!$result) {
echo "DB Error, could not query the database\n";
echo 'MySQL Error: ' . mysql_error();
exit;
}

?>

########################################################################################

Obviously change the red bits to suit.  That is fired by a cron job every hour and replaces the position value for each product to a random number.  It is probably sufficient to run this only once a day to freshen up your store.

The cron is simply

php /full/path_to/public_html/your_site.com/randomizer.php

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community