Magento Forum

Mage::debug()

clockworkgeek

Total Posts:  79

A simple request here.

I like using Mage::log(), it is very handy and I often find myself doing tricks like

Mage::log(__CLASS__.'::'.__FUNCTION__.PHP_EOL.print_r($data,true))
which is messy and long. I know of Varien_Object::debug() but it returns an array which still needs to be print_r-ed or var_dump-ed.

I know there are debug modules and firePHP modules but using those assumes they have been installed. I’ve managed to leave debugging lines in before when copying extensions to production sites, if I were depending on a 3rd party extension it would produce an error.

Rather, I would like to see a simple Mage::debug() function (so I don’t have to overwrite Mage class each time) that takes any variable, uses Varien_Object::debug() where applicable, and prints out the resulting array nicely to it’s own debug.log file. Were it standard in all magento installs then it would be a lot more useful.

Just for comparison this is what I imagine:

Mage::debug($data);

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

clockworkgeek

And since I’m making requests it would also be nice if it supported Zend_Log_Writer_Firebug

Magento Community
Magento Community

Damian Culotta
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  878
Argentina

What about Zend_Debug::dump() ?

Magento Community
Magento Community

clockworkgeek

I cannot claim to be a fan of Zend_Debug::dump(), it wraps var_dump but is longer to type. And in this situation still needs to be wrapped again in Mage::log().

When dumping to a webpage it does add <pre> tags which is useful.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community