Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

MySQL connection error during install

nspace

Total Posts:  2

I am tyring to install Magento ver. 0.6.14100 on a 1and1 dedicated managed server.

I had a few roadblocks to get this far but finally the install is running. When I get to the configuration step, where I input all of the database details, I get an error when I try to continue past this. All my db usernames, passwords are correct. Host is localhost on standard port.

This is the error I get.

SQLSTATE[HY000] [2002] Can’t connect to local MySQL server through socket ‘/tmp/mysql.sock’ (2)

Any ideas what may be causing this and preventing me from continuing with the installation?

Thanks!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Michael_1
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  826

Hi nspace,

Is connecting through socket the only way on your host ? Could you try 127.0.0.1:3306 ?

Please let me know if it helps.

Thank you.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Matt Polito

I am getting the same message, but am trying to connect to an external db.  Dreamhost doesn’t have local db so I need to have it connect to a host.  Any reason why this would not work?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Matt Polito

Can anyone go into further detail what this error code means?

SQLSTATE[HY000] [2002] Can’t connect to local MySQL server through socket ‘/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock’ (2)

I am using an external mysql host. So in my host input I have listed ‘http://mysql.domain.com/’.  Is there any reason why this should be a problem?

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community