Magento Forum

How do I get categories and products to show up on the front end? 

hello123

Total Posts:  4

Hi,

I’m really struggling to get my created categories and products to show up on the front end. I have made the ‘Is Active’ property ‘Yes’ for all my categories, but there is no nav bar on the home page. In fact, there’s not much on the home page at all - no showcased products, nothing.

I tried following the tutorial located here: http://www.magentocommerce.com/wiki/welcome_to_the_magento_user_s_guide/chapter_3 scroll down to “3. Creating categories”. At step 2, it says “Select the location in which the category will be created from the Parent Category drop-down.” However, no such drop down exists on the page where I try and create or edit the category. All I have are the following fields: Name, Is Active, Description, Image, Page Title, Meta Keywords, Meta description, Display mode, CMS block, Is Anchor. None of the other tabs have got the ‘Parent Category’ drop down.

Then, I had a look at this document: http://www.magentocommerce.com/wiki/modules_reference/English/Mage_Adminhtml/catalog_category/edit/ - scroll down to “Creating and Assigning Root Categories”. It states, “1. Make sure you have “All Store Views” selected from the drop down menu in the top left corner of the page.”

However, no such drop down exists! All I’ve got are two buttons, “Add Root Category” and “Add subcategory”.

So can anyone point me in the right direction? I’m just trying to get them to appear on the front end, is all. Thanks for your help in advance.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Ricky84

Total Posts:  9
Germany, NRW

Hi,
I also had the problem with new categories to show them in the frontend. I’m testing magento with demo products and categories. I created a new root category and new subcategories under this new root category parallel to the root of the demo. And here was my error. The existing shops are associated to the “old” root category. So there was no store pointing at the new categories.

So look if your root category is associated with your store (look at the menu system --> manage stores) or create your new categories as subcategories of the existing root category.

The other possible fault is, that your categories are only belonging to one of your langauage stores, so you can’t see the categories when this language isn’t activated in the frontend.

Good luck.
Ricky

Magento Community
Magento Community

den_piero

Total Posts:  9
Jakarta, Indonesia

Simple, i guess. I’ve been trough the same issues.
in the dropdown menu of Choose Store view choose which store u want to change or u can make it all the same with All Store Views
First u must put ur categories under one Root Catalog in default or u can make ur own by [b]add Root Category.
U can drag n drop ur sub categories into that root category u just made, or u can put it in the default root catalog. Just remember to save each category u made.
Then go to System > Manages Stores, select store name u want to change under the column Store name assign the Root Category u have ur subcategory with in the Root Category dropdown menu, then SAVE
Gud Luck

Magento Community
Magento Community

hello123

Total Posts:  4

Wow, that’s what I was missing! I did not select my root category in the ‘Store name’ section of the ‘manage stores’ page! Thank you very much den_piero and Ricky.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Jacob.R

Total Posts:  32
London

Yeah! Thank you den_piero and Ricky84. My girl friend had deleted the Root Catalog, then when we tried to add our own Root Category nothing appeared in the frontend view. Following your post solved this… after many hours of searching to see what could have caused the problem.

Jacob in London

Magento Community
Magento Community

deyg

Total Posts:  1

I am still trying to understand the concept and relationship between website , store and storeview.  And probably that’s the reason, I am not yet able to show my newly created root categories . A step by step help will be much appreciated . As of now here is my attempt..

1. I created a root category [add Root Category]
2. Created a new website
3. Created a new store for the new website
4. Created a store view.

I have two rows in ‘Manage Stores’
newweb newstore newview
Main Website Main Website Store Default Store View

Still nothing on the frontpage .  Now what ?  No Top Menu with my root category .

Thanks in anticipation.

Magento Community
Magento Community

upakarti

Total Posts:  262
Denpasar, Bali Indonesia

Excellent explanation - Done it well. “Matur Suwun Den_Piero salam teko wong Bali - baru sadar kalau Orang Jakarta”

>Deyg : Make sure you activated the root category and its additional subcategories: is activated > Yes.

All activated root category and all subcategories are bright in black text - not activated is in gray. Small things but if forgotten made headache.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community