Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Difference between System -> Design and System -> Configuration -> Design

magento_techman

Total Posts:  46

Hi,

Can somebody tell me the difference between the following in Magento admin panel.

System -> Design

vs

System -> Configuration -> Design

I went into System -> Design and was able to change the theme of website. But what’s the purpose of Design in Configuration?

Thanks

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

magento_techman

Does anyone know about it?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Webtex_1

Total Posts:  219
Minneapolis, USA

In System—>Configuration—>Design you can set the default theme for your store.
In System—>Design you may set some seasonal themes. For example you may set a theme for Christmas time — set date interval, during which you default theme should be substituted by your seasonal theme.

Magento Community
Magento Community

magento_techman

MagExtension - 02 July 2010 07:53 AM

In System—>Configuration—>Design you can set the default theme for your store.
In System—>Design you may set some seasonal themes. For example you may set a theme for Christmas time — set date interval, during which you default theme should be substituted by your seasonal theme.

But when I set a theme from System -> Design doesn’t it become my default theme? I mean when I change theme from here without giving any date interval!?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Webtex_1

Total Posts:  219
Minneapolis, USA

I assume that If you don’t set date interval, the theme you select in System—>Design substitutes your default store view theme for an unbounded period of time.

Magento Community
Magento Community

elfling
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  901

I would formally like to say whoever came up with System > Design is a bastard.

Completely forgot it existed and just wasted hours after a template producer inserted the default theme there during installation.

Should make it mandatory to have it set the date in this section.

Magento Community
Magento Community

schaeken

Total Posts:  6

elfling - 10 July 2013 08:27 PM

I would formally like to say whoever came up with System > Design is a bastard.

Completely forgot it existed and just wasted hours after a template producer inserted the default theme there during installation.

Should make it mandatory to have it set the date in this section.

This is why my custom theme hasn’t been working. I didn’t know System > Design existed. That is where my old design set up was being set. Now I can finally make changes to my site the right way.

Magento Community
Magento Community

MageBuzz

Total Posts:  32

Config the theme in System > Design is higher priority than System > Configuration > Design. So if you setup your theme there, it will ignore configuration.

Magento Community
Magento Community

elfling
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  901

That being so, surely it should be a time based update, so time from and time to must be set for such things as promotional events. Otherwise it’s just a waste of time that some developers insert their theme into.

MageBuzz - 06 November 2013 11:34 PM

Config the theme in System > Design is higher priority than System > Configuration > Design. So if you setup your theme there, it will ignore configuration.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community